Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well...

I am new to this board but I have a question.

I own a 68 Cat, I bought it for $75 bucks, then paid $75 bucks for a 351C and a c6 Trans. But the car had a 302 with a 3spd originally. The person I bought it from took the motor out, put it in a 65 Stang, sold the 3bopper. I was given a 69' 390 that I have completely built and gone over .040, installed all the trick items, crane valves, springs, new Erson cam, HV Oil pump etc... so far with all the machine work and new kits, pistons etc....$3k and counting. I traded the heads from the 351C and manifold for a 390 bell housing and a T10 ToPLder I have put the motor and trans in the car, and found many parts but I am at an impass.

Should I continue doing the work myself, sell the car as is, or pay someone to finish the job? I still need belts hoses, starter, new radiator, shifter and linkage, Exterior and interior work. The thing has not been started since I rebuilt it 15yrs ago, but recently I have checked the motor out, still looking good inside.

What to do? Any suggestions?:confused:

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
That's a tough one. Do you like/love the Cougar? You've still got some work to do on the exterior and interior, so there's a lot more $$$ involved. On the other hand, an uncompleted car isn't worh much. It's doubtful you'd get your money back on your engine work.

Since you are mechanically inclined, I'd say do as much as you can do yourself, and farm out the rest.......money permitting. The shifter and linkage shouldn't be too hard to find.

My 2 cents

Tim B
1969 XR7 428 CJR convertible
http://members.aol.com/timbrands/index.html

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea,

I think you could be right, its funny, when I put it up for sale at 1k not one single person calls, but when I put it for 2.5k the phone rings off the hook, even with the project car description.

The headliner and dash are in great shape, I will have to redo the front seats, and someone painted them black when they were teal. It also had a run in with a deer before I got is so there is some body work.

Anyone know where to find the shifter and linkage, it should be easy enough to find, it takes the same one as the Stang. But it took me years to find the z-bar and brackets for the bigger motor.

Finaly found a new number and got them from Ford directly.

Oh well, keep the suggestions coming, I am not in love with it, but I would really like to drive it again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again,

I did some online research yesterday, and found the hurst competition shifter and adapter kit from summit for about 260 bucks. That isnt bad, I have a shifter but need the adapter.

I need a good old fashioned swap meet to go to, or to find an old granny car somewhere out in the boonies.

I am thinking that since this car didnt have Power Steering that, I might take the motor and trans out and find one that did.

God I just dont know.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes I did

Thanks, I learned some stuff about some 390's I didnt know. WCC was one of the first sites I ever ran across, and this one back when it was first starting out.

I talked to them on the phone about front discs for the cat, and switching over to PS.

I wonder if anyone knows the original FOMOCO part number on the shifter adapter for the 433 T+C trans I have. I might call ford and see what they have to offer.

Thanks again

1 - 7 of 7 Posts