Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I filled up the Cat today, 89 fuel from Mobil, musta been bad gas, cause now, on hard acceleration, it will bog bigtime and then start picking up....

Two bottles of fuel additive, and a little better, but not alot... Mobil basically told me to fu*k off... last time I go to that one.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Not that it couldn't be bad gas but it could be an ignition problem that just turned up. I would double check my gap on the pertronix and inspect the reluctor for bad spots just for kicks. You may also want to check the slack in your timing chain if you have never changed it. Timing chains usually jump when you shut the motor off. Seems like a good time for 351w shopping...lol
John
wvcat

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ended up being the cap/rotor, its new, and when I got it, Accel painted the tip of the rotor, don't ask me how, but I sanded it off and made it shiny, and solved my problem.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Same happened to me about ten years ago, but I stuck to me bad gas story even though I new it was the center pick-up inside the mallory cap. I told him I had to drain my tank and refilled with a competitors gas and that solved the problem. So they gave me a free fill-up, I still go there. He still thinks he fixed it by replacing the filters on that gas pump. I wish they still sold the 98 octaine Gator Gas.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Weirdest thing I ever found (and boy was it hard to find) was with an old GM HEI ignition. Those things throw enough spark (compared to points) to really make things problematic. If you use a cheap rotor the HEI will burn a hole from the center electrode and straight to ground (the distributor shaft). All you see is a little discoloration on the rotor, but the hole is there nonetheless. What a PITA that was!

It just goes to show you, it's always something. If it isn't one thing it's another...

USE QUALITY PARTS!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts