Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting close the getting my 68 painted. I'm going with urathane base clear. I'm planning on having some graphics ghosted in. When in the painting process are graphics painted on?
Can graphics be added later, after clear coat?

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
It could be done over the base, before the clear, or it can be done after the clear, then reclear over the graphics, the best is to do it after the clear, then it´s easier to fix anything if there should be a flaw or a problem occurs, since you don´t get into the main color that way.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It could be done over the base, before the clear, or it can be done after the clear, then reclear over the graphics, the best is to do it after the clear, then it´s easier to fix anything if there should be a flaw or a problem occurs, since you don´t get into the main color that way.
So can graphics be added anytime after the base coat clear coat or do they have to be added within a certain amount of time after the base clear?

·
Registered
913 Posts
No, the graphics can be added any time after the clear has dried, then the area that the graphics are going to be put on, must be sanded with 1500 paper apply graphics and then re-clear.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
If graphics is done after the base, but before initial clear, then you have a timelimit to get it done, but if put on after the clear, and the clear har dried, then there is no timelimit to get the graphics on :)
But if the grafics is painted on within 48 hours of the clear has dried, then no sanding/scuffing is needed, but after the 48 hour window, sanding/scuffing is needed before painting anymore on the clear, to ensure adhesion :)

·
Registered
913 Posts
If graphics is done after the base, but before initial clear, then you have a timelimit to get it done, but if put on after the clear, and the clear har dried, then there is no timelimit to get the graphics on :)
But if the grafics is painted on within 48 hours of the clear has dried, then no sanding/scuffing is needed, but after the 48 hour window, sanding/scuffing is needed before painting anymore on the clear, to ensure adhesion :)
Any time a hardener has been added and allowed to dry over night, it is just good practice to scuff the clear before re-coating even using a gray scuff pad.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Any time a hardener has been added and allowed to dry over night, it is just good practice to scuff the clear before re-coating even using a gray scuff pad.
Yeah i´m fully aware of that, and that is my standard method aswell, but when giving info on posts, i tend to keep within or close to the manufacturers recommendations to avoid any confusion.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts