Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok well i have this pic and i just realized how much i like these wheels, now i know that these are not DG wheels but they are on a DG car so i figured that i would ask. Are these available and would they fit my cat?
They do not look like stock TT's but i could be wrong.
PLMK
Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
339 Posts
PS Engineering makes a wheel similar to what the actual trans am cars used. I cannot find they're web site, they had some really cool vintage style wheels. You can call them at 310 534 4477. They supplied the wheels for Eleanor from Gone in Sixty Seconds.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
thanks for posting the DG pic. I had forgotten all about the paint scheme on that car. I think I have a new inspiration for my paint. Suh-weet!

Oh, and those look like torq thrusts to me too. They're all "bidness" without the center caps aren't they?
Nice wheels site too.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Clarification

Just so no one is confused, that car is not a Dan Gurney Special, but rather is a real Trans Am Group 2 Cougar, that was campaigned during the 1967 Trans Am season. The car was mostly driven by Dan Gurney, but was driven by other team members such as Peter Revson and David Pearson. The car has been restored and is currently owned by Ross Myers who still races the car in historic racing series throughout the country. Here is a pic of the car at Virginia International Raceway from last year. And, btw, there were other wheels run on these cars. They spent a good part of the year riding on Shelby Magstars and a few races on ugly stock steel wheels!

A second TA car exhists, too. Owned by David Tom, it is the original Mule car and has also been restored and is being raced again.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
No, it's the same car as pictured above. My guess is that #16 was already taken by another SVRA racer, so Ross chose #15, which was also a Team Cougar number. The cars were prepared by Bud Moore who used the same numbers in later seasons, including the Trans Am winning season of '70 with the Boss Mustangs of George Follmer and Parnelli Jones. Parnelli also drove the '67 season for Team Cougar, as did Ed Leslie. Parnelli, Gurney and Leslie were the main drivers, with Pearson and Revson filling in on several occasions. In fact, Pearson and Revson each won multiple races. Cale and Lee Roy Yarborough even did a tag team with one of the cars at Marlbaro in MD. Cool stuff!

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
paint codes

Hey,
Can anyone tell me the colors used on the TA cars.
I'm not interested in the red. Just the silver color.
Anyone have any other pics of the graphics?
I'm going to make a faux-plica of my 70 as a TA car for the summer tour.
I'll be using a dark green and a silver combo, so I'd like to find out the paint codes and mixing recipe for the silver color.
Thanks.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Jim these were sent to me by garey(xr7gt) he took them i believ i can ask him where at:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts