Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I swapped in a rear end two days ago and it's actually from a 66 Fairlane, its almost 2 inches shorter and I was wondering if anyone knows where I can scoop up some spacers to bring the wheels back out?

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Called 'wheel adapter', you would need a Ford to Ford, they make them and it places the hub out about 1 or 1-1/4 inches.

I think they are 5 on 4-1/2?

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
two inches, I think is too much to make up. I have one inch spacers on my 68, those don't scare me. 2" is a lot more stress on that coupling.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
an inch on each side is too much? I just want it to stop rubbing every time I go into a driveway...i can only go in straight lines and corners really slow.
whats the measurements for Cougar rear ends...is it 5 X 4.5?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Some of these rearends have a different flange distance. I have one set out of a 8" that is about a 1/2 longer on each side than the 9". If you have your old axles. You might gain a little that way.

·
Registered
913 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
Check these out from Summit. A quick search with 1.00 thickness requirement yielded this as the cheapest:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/AAF-ALL44123/

I've used the cheaper aluminum spacers out there (Mr. Gasket??) but they didn't come as thick as 1.00 inch. How is your resultant thread engagement on your lug nuts going to be?? What kind of wheels?? Keep that in mind. Do you have long wheel studs in those axles?

Kevin

·
Registered
992 Posts
oops just looked up Towcat's link- didn't think of the kind of adapters that include new wheel studs (I was only thinking of the kind that use your existing studs). Towcat's type eliminate my wheel stud length questions.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
I was thinking of four inches, 2 on each side. If you are only looking at one inch per wheel, then you should be good. That is the same thing that I did. I used the posted 'E-Z accessory style', so far, so good. but no trips to the road track, either..

·
Registered
152 Posts
Can I buy your two inch narrowed rear end?? Man I'd get some viscous meats to put under the car! To heck with the wheel spacers that will only cause a weak point and something to always wonder about. Put some 275s or 295s under there. lol

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got some Michelin 215/70R15 on there now, but the tire rubs every time I go into a driveway or make hard turns. Maybe I just need to raise it up, I have an extra set of leaf springs, maybe I should take a leaf and get it up a bit....

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
It most likely rubs because the wheel backspace is configured for the correct width rearend. You'd have to go with a "reversed" wheel configuration (with little to NO backspace) to dish the wheel out to clear where you're making contact.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I know that spacers will weaken the rear, but I'm just trying to buy time until I upgrade to the 390 or 429 W/ 9 inch currie housing 31 inch spline w/ detroit posi locker. That combo takes some money and patience, but I drive my cat everyday...so until then I have to make it work...

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I finally got some adapters at the Long Beach auto swap meet for a $40 bucks a pair (Score!). and to top it off, I got two hefty offers for the Cat....

It looks like the studs on my car are a little too long for my new adapters, they extend past the mounting surface. I guess I gotta go through the whole process again and remove the axles to get shorter studs pressed on...what a day...

·
Registered
992 Posts
do they have to be pressed in? can you take a lug nut, spin it on end of stud (to protect it), hammer on nut to knock it loose, remove nut, remove stud, install new stud, take impact gun (or large breaker bar) and use open lug nut to "pull" the new stud into the axle without having to remove axle? i'd do this with only 1 rear wheel removed while other rear tire is on ground (for safety while hammering and then torquing) with just a single jackstand under the side you are working on.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
cool, thx man. I used that method to remove one stud that got chewed up from a previous heavy handed installation...to make them all flush with the adapter, I used a cut off wheel and removed about 1/4 inch from every stud. I still get 12 turns on every bolt so I'm still in the safe zone as far as safety...on to the next issue....Installing granada spindles and disc brakes on the front.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am trying to figure out how much spacing i need to go with my wheels are from a 2007 mustang 16x8 with a high positive offset.I am wanting to put them on my 1968 cougar and have them line up front and back nicely.Is there a way to measure what I need easily? I was going to order the cj pony parts kit that was 1 inch up front and half in the back and the salesman said i would probably need more any help would be awesome thanks.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts