Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having got the new rims for the 70 awhile back I now want to make them stand out from or at least be inline with the back fenders. The rims I got only came in 7" and 10" and I ditched the 10" ones [well they are on the ranchero], cos' I thought they looked a bit doff on a daily driver, anyway the rims need to come out about 30mm, which is about 1.1/2", if my conversion is right. Question, can I put a spacer in that size without doing damage, guy at the wheel place says he has seen spacers about 4" wide, but ............. I would get them made up by an engineering place in a ? metal, and I guess I would need longer and stronger bolts.
Any ideas/opinions/advice?
Here's a pic so you can see what I mean about them needing to go out a bit.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bruce, sent queries to both sites, see if they come back to me with some answers, the engineering guy I asked to check out the wheels said he could only make spacers about 1/2 - 3/4" wide, he could have been being honest, or having a bad day. If I get a reply from these firms then I can take it to an eng place and show them that it can be done, unless of course it can't be done. :)

·
Registered
588 Posts
Most spacers are only about that size, if you need to go larger than about an inch, you will probably need a adapter, which both of these companies also make. An adapter is similar to a spacer except that they do not require longer wheel studs. Here's a link to photo of an adapter. http://www.stocktonwheel.com/images/adapters.gif These can be made with the same bolt pattern so it will simply move the wheel out.

·
Registered
40 Posts
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/
then Race products>
then under Wheels>
Adapters & Spacers>
Universal Aluminum Wheel Spacers

The stock 1/2" diameter wheel stud is only about an inch long so you will want to use longer wheel studs to make up the difference. Moroso shows to have these at 3"long for 1/2 diameter studs (Part#MO46180 or MO46190 depending on the knurl diameter you desire). For spacers greater than 1" I would consider using a rim with the proper offset.

The Hub adapters are a little more pricey at $70 apeice and up. These add weight as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts