Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does any one know where I can find a chart that will tell me what is the biggest wheel & tire combo I can go on my cat? I want to go with the Edelbrock Type 454 (same wheel as Eleanor from Gone in 60 Seconds) They don't make a 7" wheel, so I'm wondering if I will have enough clearence on the front with an 8". Any help is greatly apprieciated. Thank You all.

Attachments

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
This is a sizing chart for Mustangs, but our cars are the same (I believe) suspension wise. Hope it helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thank you both. I found a link that I thought was informative. It is a site for American Racing Wheels, but it shows everything from a 14x7 to an 18x9 and if they offer it or not. It shows what backspacing as well as tire sizes will work. I'm still kinda new here, so if you think it is good enough to post it on the links page, feel free. Thank you again.

Here is the link:

http://www.classic-mustang.net/wheels/

·
Registered
339 Posts
The "Eleanor" wheels are actually by ps engineering out of Torrance, CA. I have a set on my 68. If you run a 245 45 17 tire I would recommend rolling your fenders. I have a tad of tire rub if hit a big anough dip or a lot of extra weight in the car. Checkout mercurycougars.com I beleive my car is still the featured car.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you run the 245/45 front and rear? Is the rub on the front or the rear? If different sizes are used front and rear,what is the other size?

·
Registered
339 Posts
yes same size all around, no problems in front. I can turn the wheel lock to lock w/o problems. I have also lowered the control arms. Which ever wheel you pick you will be amazed at how great they look and of the # of compliments you will get.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
339 Posts
Your car looks good and Yes that is the factory color. On the C-pillar is a chrome badge that says "calypso coupe". Mercury put out a limited # of these towards the end of the 68 model year to promote the color for 69. I have only scene two other calypso coupes.

·
Registered
588 Posts
8" will work, if you get the backspacing right. I have 16x8 Mustang Cobra R rims on Donna's car. On the classic-cougar list server I am making a list of wheels/tires that fit various cars. Post the details of the tire/wheel combo you want to run and I'll see if someone has commented on that size, good or bad.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts