Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What size wheels should I put on my 68 Cat? 15, 16, 17? I am building a daily driver engine is putting out just under 400hp. Gonna be a daily Driver

·
Registered
508 Posts
Here's the 17" I'm running on my '69. Min. affect on ride quality. I like more wheel and less "black" sidewall.

ultra wheels.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
Wheels are really personal preference. I prefer to stick to no larger than 15" wheels on a classic car but others prefer larger. Go with what you like. 400 HP in a daily driver? Why?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The company I am buying it from says it will have between 375 to 400

·
Registered
152 Posts
Check that company's stats on the engine...being the machine work, crank, pistons, rods, heads ect for verification of the horse power. Also, 17" wheels are easier and cheaper to find wheels for, but I'm old school and love 15"s which is what I chose.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Check that company's stats on the engine...being the machine work, crank, pistons, rods, heads ect for verification of the horse power. Also, 17" wheels are easier and cheaper to find wheels for, but I'm old school and love 15"s which is what I chose.
I have the will Dyno it before they ship it with verification that it puts out the specified HP. I am Buying from Proformanceunlimited.com

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like the 15's myself. I hate massive wheels I think they look stupid on classic cars

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
16 and 17 is the way to go, currently the most available tire sizes

·
Registered
152 Posts
jk69cat is right, more ties sizes are available for 16's and 17's. I believe that the 275 60R15 I have gives a great stance, fills the wheel well, and puts a lot of rubber under the car without the larger wheels. Just my opinion which with every cougar owner will differ. Good Luck:)

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
I have 255/50/16's on the back of my 68, they fill up the rears nicely. 225/5516 up front, and my car has manual steering..... I got the 16's at a swap meet for cheap, they are getting very common, and much less expensive tires than a "performance" 14...

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have 255/50/16's on the back of my 68, they fill up the rears nicely. 225/5516 up front, and my car has manual steering..... I got the 16's at a swap meet for cheap, they are getting very common, and much less expensive tires than a "performance" 14...
Thanks for the advice. Does anyone know where I can get a good set of paintable rims I want to paint them to match the Lines and not chrome

·
Registered
389 Posts
anything over 15 looks out of place on a classic car unless its a total retromod with all modern stuff.... but a good clean classic muscle car should have 14 or 15's IMO. it just looks right.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
I wanted 15's as I am kinda old school too, but when I looked at available tires I saw the writing on the wall. Went with 17's and am very happy with them, they do not look too big and the brakes don't look too small with the wheels I chose either. It is of course a personal choice as others have pointed out, but at some point one needs to look at economics and current availability and factor that into your decision, that is what I did.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I wanted 15's as I am kinda old school too, but when I looked at available tires I saw the writing on the wall. Went with 17's and am very happy with them, they do not look too big and the brakes don't look too small with the wheels I chose either. It is of course a personal choice as others have pointed out, but at some point one needs to look at economics and current availability and factor that into your decision, that is what I did.
My fear is that it will rub the fenders. Does it? or do you have to do anything special to keep it from doing so?

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Tire availability would not predict my wheel size, but I'm on the old school side. 15's for me.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
My fear is that it will rub the fenders. Does it? or do you have to do anything special to keep it from doing so?
That should be no problem, as long as the width and the backspacing is fine, when you go to from 15 to 17 wheels, you also go down on the profile on the tire so the diameter on the tires are the same, just as an example, 225/60X15 to 225/50X17, just look around on several of the wheel/tire sites, they usually have a wheel/tire fit calculator witch shows how the different diameters is with different sizes

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
My rear 285/40-17's on 17 x 9 with 5.25" backspacing are PERFECT with no issues, my front 245/45-17's on 17 x 8 with 4.5" backspacing are close but I have no problems to speak of with them either!

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Tire availability would not predict my wheel size, but I'm on the old school side. 15's for me.
LOL, so having rims you could not get tires for would okay then, huh? :buck:

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
LOL yep guess I'd be up on blocks then huh. I just thought any tire could be ordered, if not local. Summit seems to have the best deal on 225/15's even shipped.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts