Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to buy wheels and tires for my 69 Cougar. I want to go to 15" rims but was told the backspacing on 15X7" are 4.25 and the only wheels I can find are 4.50 steel wheels.
Will those work. What size works best. anyone have 4.50 backspacing?

·
Registered
5,299 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
wv is right... for the rear, I use 15x8 with 4.5" backspace. Fit's perfectly. For the front, I'm using 15x7 with 3.5" backspace.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Logan, I run into a deal today, Cragar SS's, 15x8 with 4" bs. The rears are 265/50's and the fronts are 235/60's. I'm worried about the fronts. What do you think? It's a really good deal if they will work.mm

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Yeah, the rears you definately don't need to worry about. The 4" backspace will limit you to a max size of 275 though.

The front's will be ok. There's clearance for a 15x8 under there. The 235 isn't a problem either.

I'd go for it.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Ok cool. I wasn't sure before but I'll go get a bid in on them. How often do you find something like this on e-bay thats close enough to pick up instead of having to ship them? Now as long as someone dosn't want to pay more than I. mm

·
Registered
519 Posts
jimk351c said:
I know two people that installed 235s in front of 69/70 cats. They both had to have the fenders notched to escape rubbing.
What do you mean by notched?

My 235's rub out front but I wa s going to try and roll the inner lip of the upper part of the wheel well up and hope that works.

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
The Crager street stars I had on the front of Badcatt had 235/60 15 on them with no rubbing, I don't know the back spacing.:confused: I can check tomarrow. The XR7 has magnum 500s with Eaglesin 235/60 15 and do rub when backing and turning hard. I aalso do not know the back spacing on them.:alien:

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I'm holding back and listening right now. I really dont want to get into fender rubbing. I thought 7" rims would be best for the front myself but if these would work I'm sure the wider rims would look great. mm

1 - 13 of 13 Posts