Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, simple question for the majority of you, but I want to get it correct.
As far as wheel sizes, lets take 15x7 -- The 15 is the diameter of the wheel, and the 7 is the width from outer to inner lip -- correct?

I have the backspacing down. You can use spacers if more backspace is needed, any rules to follow here?

Bolt patterns, lets take 5 1/2 -- Is this the distance from the center of the rim to the center of the lug hole?

I have seen on ebay the universal wheels, also read that you should stay away from those right?

What about RWD wheels, is there a difference from regular wheels?

Lastly, what's the bolt pattern for a 68?

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
the first part is right (rim 15" and 7 is width). Better off to find a backsppacing your happy with, spacers will help sorta but you'll need longer wheel studs. Unilug rims take an oval washer, and most dont sit right on a car.
Bolt pattern for a FORD/Mercury is 5 bolts by 4-1/2in. By finding bolt pattern, you take one lug nut whole, and go across to the one straight across. (back of one hole to center of other hole on a 5 bolt rim)

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Universal wheels have different meanings. A universal wheel could mean that the center piece has 10 holes. One set of 5 holes fit Chevy ( 5 on 4 3/4 bolt circle) the other set of 5 holes fit Ford (5 on 4 1/2 bolt circle).

The other type of Universal wheel is the one the has 5 oblong holes in it. This type wheel usually comes with offset washers and you flip them one way or another depending on what type vehicle you are using them on. Stay away from these !!!

Click this link for some useful info on measuring for Bolt circle, Backspacing etc...<p>
http://www.aclassicwheel.com/Products/FAQ/Wheel_Measuring/wheel_measuring.html

Regards
Rick J

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
I checked the list that you linked to in your last reply. That list is only associated with those wheels that you see on that page. Yes, you can use that as a very limited guide. My point being. different type wheels come with different backspacing so don't limit yourself to that list.

There are many, many choices in wheels as you know and each comes with different backspace/offset. Your best bet is to do the measuring on your car and go from there. That way you will know exactly what will work on your car and what won't.

Hold a straight edge on the mounting face on your drum/disc and then measure into the wheel well to the closest obstacle that a wheel might hit. That will give you an idea of your maximum backspace/offset.

Tires will also be a factor depending on the sidewall profile.

I have a 68 standard. On the front I have Convo-Pro 15x8 1/2, which are too wide and I have 15x10 on the rear which are perfect. I will be changing to 17" on all four corners. I don't remember what the backspace is on my wheels it has been so long.

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Yes, after seeing some of the wheels that these guys have here. I need to update mine.

The steel wheels that I sell can be made to order. Meaning, 14", 15", 16" and 17" diameters and up to 20" wide with any backspace. I am thinking, for my car. 17x8 Rallye in front with a chrome outer and body color center. A chrome disc brake cap with a 3 flute knock off in the center. 17x10 in the rear. That is what I envision.

As for the current wheels. I will take some pictures for you this weekend and post them.

RJ

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Sorry to steal your thread but...

I have some wheels I would like to sell and they were on my 89 Cherokee when I first bought it (not-originals).
What else do they fit?
Just Chrysler?
They are 15".

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
I think that is a GM/Chevy Bolt Pattern. Let me verify that for you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts