Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had questions about my wheel covers since I got the car. The P.O. said they were original, but I have never seen them anywhere and they did not have the prowling cat on them, they had the mercury god head. Well, looking at the window sticker and purchase order (this is an extremely well documented car), I see wire wheel covers as a dealer installed option. Would these have been the type of covers the dealer would have put on? I also saw a trunk luggage rack, which I later found in the trunk. I'm not going concours here, but I have decided to dial back my resto moding so that one day I could do a correct resto. I still have the original engine too. The vinyl top is gone.....but definetly not forgotton (3 grand to fix the rusty roof)...So anyway, anyone know about the wheel covers. I will post some pics. You may have seen the car recently on E-bay...It was a rusty blue one that I probably paid too much for but don't regret it. The original owner lived on the same street I grew up on.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
you cant go wrong if you love the car but they are maybe pulled off another merc from the era or jsut a plain mixup it happened more often than you think. check out west coast classic cougars he has allot of rims pictured on his site.

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
wheel covers

The wheel covers are a simulated wire wheel, right?
I have them on my 1967 Standard.
What you have is indeed a set of dealer installed covers.
Do you have the tri-bar spinner or is it just a round center?
The 65-6 Mustang repo spinner is listed in the Ford parts interchange manual as correct for 1967 Cougars Dealer installed wheel covers.
I could not find the repop centers for Cougars as none are made.
I have made a running cat logo for the insert but have not pursued creating a physical piece.
Perhaps someday.

Attachments

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, they are the simulated wire and no, no spinner. I saw some on Ebay recently but they were very expensive. Wow, so they are the original ones then.

·
Registered
127 Posts
How much were they running for on eBay? I have a set of 4 of those hubcaps (with the prowling cougar) just laying in my garage.

·
Registered
89 Posts
67 & 68 Wire Wheel covers

Ahhhhh the ever intriguing Wire wheel cover saga.
I bought both sets of Mercury wire cap sets. I own a 67 and a 68 and was curious WHICH was correct for what year .....

I was at the East Coast Nationals. and read and read and looked at some Original and well documented cats.

What I have determined is that the 67 cougar has, a black center with a sort of bulls eye in the middle. The '67 Comet has the red centers with the chrome god head. Interesting thing, looking at the early 67 Cougar only brochure, it shows the black bullseye style with a spinner but have never actually seen one of these. (Similar in style to the Fairlane/Mustang with the blue ford crest in them)
If you look at the 68 dealers album (which I have) and the brochures, the red centers with the chrome head are correct for 68 and 69 Cougars.

In a nutshell the ones correct for '67 have the black center with a bulls eye, the 68 and 69's have the red center with a chrome merc god head.

Dave

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
looks like this

Here is the one w/o tri-bar spinner. I have a 67 and the dealer brocheure shows the tri-bar spinner with this center

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
Wheel covers

YEP, I have a set of those in my garage as well. Those are the '67 Wheel Covers.
I dont have a pic of the red centered MERC Head wheel covers to post, but I'll take one tomorrow. From what I see on the pic of the car in the begining of this thread, those are the correct wire wheel covers.

David

·
Registered
89 Posts
More on Wheel Covers

A side note, if you see the ones with the "WHITE" centers with the chrome god head, those are the ones they used on the Park Lane, Marquis, Montclair & Monterey. I bought a set of (centers only) like those at Charlotte Auto Fair.
The centers are interchangeable.

david

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
cool, mine is a 68 and they have the red background with the god head. So they are original after all.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
xr7gt

May I copy that running cougar logo insert, it would be interesting to see if I could have a sticker made and then encased in perspex or resin or something to that effect, would look a lot nicer on my wheels than the current "Smiths Wheels".
The better option would be to have the cougar and the script cast in metal [or whatever they do to make badges] and then put it on a black circle and the perspex over it. Like the XR7 badge.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I have a set

I got a set of 69s of my XR-7 sloted rims too any bids?I will get a picture on soon of them:1poke:

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
Absolutely

72cat
Use this link for a bigger image you can download and then resize.
Click Here
Thanks
Let me know how it goes
Xr7GT

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Thanks xr7gt

One of my kids has got a friend who makes stickers and things, he has been buggin me for ages to let him make a sticker for the cat, told him no ways was I sticking anything on the body, but this difference, my wheels need some class. And if all else fails and I never find an XR7 badge for my grill, they can make me a wheel think and I will attach bolts and stick it on the grille, at least it will be original [by you] and who the hell would know the difference here, apart from us.

Only sticker worth having on a cat is that "Here Chevy Chevy Chevy"
one, but I don't think many would actually catch on here, they still want to know why our number plate says cougar!:D

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
I understand completely

I am real particular about what gets stuck to my Cougar.
I have 3 things thus far
1. Car of the Year Decal (original) looks awesome even after 35yrs
2. TCCN decal
3. A small American flag in the rear window.

Let me know how it turns out and perhaps you can run a few sets.
I am really happy with how it looks I thought long and hard and decided on that style. I just love the running cat.
It looks almost identical to the steering wheel center emblem on 1967's.
Xr7GT

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
My son was sitting with me when I printed the picture and he commented on how nice it would look in the steering wheel centre, its a MOMO, but would happily replace it with a cougar.
I just want to check the running cougar on my seats and see if its the same, did'nt think of that, I will post a picture of them.

Yes its the same.

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
get a head on shot

If you can get a better shot I may be able to make the outside ring like your seat insert.
It's looks almost exactly like the center of my steering wheel.
See

Attachments

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
xr7gt

I will try and get a better picture of them tomorrow, the emblem is in the middle of the seats so its difficult to get a straight picture, and shes at the bodyshop, and tomorrow is Saturday, so don't know if they will be open, but will try, I also have the running cougar on the doors, silver and black, will try and get a picture of that too.
Thanks
Dayle

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
xr7gt

I went to a link that Royce posted on a another post and found this medalion for the XR7GT, the seat insert on my cougar has the same outside ring as the medallion, sprocket type ring. I've also got the laurel leaves, but not the 'cougar' script.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts