Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, I looked for an answer in existing threads but couldn't find what I was after. I've got a nice driver '70 convertible that has 14" wheels and I've been looking at using wheel adapters to widen the stance:

It looks like I have plenty of room for at least 2" between the rubber and the inside of the fender in the back but harder to tell when the wheels turn in the front. Anyone else use these or recommend what thickness would be ideal? Thanks.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hi All, I looked for an answer in existing threads but couldn't find what I was after. I've got a nice driver '70 convertible that has 14" wheels and I've been looking at using wheel adapters to widen the stance:

It looks like I have plenty of room for at least 2" between the rubber and the inside of the fender in the back but harder to tell when the wheels turn in the front. Anyone else use these or recommend what thickness would be ideal? Thanks.
I have a '70 'vert as well. I'd be amazed if these would actually work but then again I have 15x7" wheels on mine. I'm using a set of 1/8" spacers on the front to give clearance for the center caps on my Mag 500 wheels. Any more and the tires would rub at the fender at full steering lock.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He d QUOTE="bmwhd, post: 998502, member: 66873"]
I have a '70 'vert as well. I'd be amazed if these would actually work but then again I have 15x7" wheels on mine. I'm using a set of 1/8" spacers on the front to give clearance for the center caps on my Mag 500 wheels. Any more and the tires would rub at the fender at full steering lock.
[/QUOTE]
Hey thanks for the reply. Your cat is gorgeous, similar to mine in that you also have the eliminator hood scoop. Yours has the stance I'm looking for. Do you know how much more back spacing your rims have vs the stock 14"? What size tires and any other suspension mods? Thanks again.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hey thanks for the reply. Your cat is gorgeous, similar to mine in that you also have the eliminator hood scoop. Yours has the stance I'm looking for. Do you know how much more back spacing your rims have vs the stock 14"? What size tires and any other suspension mods? Thanks again.
Thanks. I like the hood scoop even though it's not really correct for a lowly 351C ;-)

As for the tires, they are 235/60R15s. I don't know any specifics about the wheels as they were on the car when I got it. I did change the springs when I rebuilt parts of the front of the suspension to ones with the same specs as a '69 GT. However I cut one half of one coil off of each spring to get the stance I wanted. I've added A/C but have an aluminum intake and T-5Z trans now which together must be somewhat lighter than the cast iron boat anchor FMX and 2V intakes.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Much more expensive but I recommend getting a wider set of wheels or lower offset if you want a wider stance. Using spacers can cause wheel bearing failure and put more stress on the studs. Try to check out 4wheelonline. They have some classic looking rims like the Ridler, American racing and Foose.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts