Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys whats the firing order on a 68 302 engine i have two books and both are the not the same ?.i still have the problem with the slow crank there is no juice (electrical).when you turn the key to the on postion there should be power at the postive side of the coil?well there is not. when i crank the engine there is.. more info it has a rv cam and i still trying to time it.whats the best way to get rid of water in the engine? flush it.seems some water found it self to the oil..i was going to change the oil once the car started
maybe have to change a few times to get out all the oil> ok guy i will wait for the help..thanks :cry:

·
Registered
889 Posts
look here

Mine is stamped on the top o the intake manifold.Yours could be different.I got a 390 with a factory intake still on it. Dan

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
(1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8). i believe that is correct . the later ones have a different 351W firing order. but thats for the early ones

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks

whats the best way to get rid of water in the engine? flush it.seems some water found it self to the oil..i was going to change the oil once the car started seems like the timimg is way off thats why it turns over slow.now if the timeing off would that throw off the spark?and which way does the rotor turn on 68 302
counterclockwise?or clock wise. thanks sixt9coug seems like your the only one that will listen.
:D

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
water in the engine?? how?? you blow a gasket? or is this like a freak thing? but yeah, id flush it out the best i could, im not really sure how much water you are talking about, but if that happened to me, id drain the oil and get all i could out. the rotor turns counter clockwise and as far as the other question, what do you mean? if the timing is off then it might not start. it would have to be off by errr, a good amount though :D just be sure that you have the firing order right and the timing set close to specs before you start it. otherwise ( esp with the firing order ) you might hurt something. i blew a carb that way once lol.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Hey Steve,

what if it's like 180 out? that would make it SEEM like it's gonna start, but pop and gripe and moan about it... yes?

Robert

·
Registered
889 Posts
that sounds right

mine did at 180 out Dan

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
damn skippy it would do that

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
more info

hey guys its me again yes water got in the oil thru the intake manifold the gasket did not work well or something.any way got the car to run but there is smoke coming from the inside?????????:confused: the oil pump is work i see i come out i have the vavle cover off to adjust rockers.so i am wondering why smoke.
1.is it because i put silcone on the head gaskets?
2.is it because its not getting oil where it needs to be?
3.because its a new engine and everything tight?

also two rods where not working.( pumping oil) so had to take off the intake saw two lifters had come apart???lucky the all the parts where still there:D .i went and took off the heads to see if the cylinders where ok and to change the the gasket and no silcone.!there where a little scratched(cylinder) :( is this ok.
well guys please bear with me how about if and when this over i buy beers for all you guys:D and milk for the young one's

thanks again

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
smoke from the inside of the engine? ? seeing as there is water in it, you sure it isnt steam? and as far as the scratches go, errr thats normally not good, how deep are they?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
more info

yes there is water in the radiator its full .the smoke smells like burn something.ya i know scratches are not good they are not deep at all if you run your finger over you can feel it but not deep
what affect will this have on the engine? will i be ok with this. later way later down the road i plan to redo again. the car will be weekend car not a dailely driver

smoke from the inside of the engine? ? seeing as there is water in it, you sure it isnt steam? and as far as the scratches go, errr thats normally not good, how deep are they?

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
well it might just be the engine breaking in. i just about anytime i put something new on the car it was smoky and gave off a mean funk. esp the exhaust. if you can feel the scratches.. thats not good. i dont think you will hurt anything, but i bet youll lose some power. why not run a compression test on it when you get it back together?? maybe you are lucky and its not bleeding off much.

·
Registered
123 Posts
navarro - did you just have the short block on this rebuilt? I'll bet the scratches you are seeing is actually the cross hatching on the cylinders. The water from a intake leak is no biggie but you need to drain the oil first before you try to fire the engine up.
What so you mean by lifter falling apart - ain't they brand new? Do you have a manual? if not, get one. Spent a couple of bucks on a remote starter so you can see what the engine is doing.
I usually put silicon around the water passages only on both sides of the gasket. How are you putting on the front and back intake gaskets? That's where 90% of the leaks occur.
You have to install the dist with the #1 at TDC are you doing this? Assuming your balancer has not slipped, TDC will have the #1 piston at the top of its stroke and the pointer will be at 0 on the balancer. Scribe a mark on the dist body in line with where #1 plug goes on the dist cap. Then take cap off and install dist with vac unit pointing forward so the rotor points to that mark. Then rotate the body so that the mark is about 1/4" to the right (clockwise) of the rotor. the car will now start.
Hard to diagnose why you have no power via the computer. Jump the coil from the solenoid if you have to so you can eliminate that problem.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
more info

yes i had the shortblock rebuilt but its not the cross th thing.its on only on a few cylinders.the thing i wondering is why only a few cylinders and not all scratched???????
the way im putting the gaskets on the manifold for the front and rear is im putting the gasket on the block front and back then the intake gaskets and drop down the intake. making sure the front and back gaskets are ok.now do i need any sealer on the heads gaskets?you said lose power?how much!but will this be ok for a weekend driver im not going to race or anything like that?well maybe here and there no just kidding:D well i think the car is timed now because the car was running when i took the intake and heads off.and mark the rotor.now the lifter fell apart i guess the lock on the lifters came off and all the insides came out .?but only two of them on the same cylinder.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts