Mercury Cougar Owners banner

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
So, are you saying you don't have to pay for new pads when they wear out? the only warranty i know of on brake pads is limited lifetime, and the parts counter tells me its for defects only.

Kevin
I just went up to autozone the other day and got new pads for my sisters car because they were lifetime, no questions asked, and they were only 3/4 gone

·
Registered
992 Posts
huh? what brand? i bought ProStops from Pep boys and they said warranty on defects only. and what do you do? bring your receipt? show the old pads? damn, wish i had autozone near me!!

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
they put you in the computer and the next time you go in you just take the old parts and give them your phone number. I think its on the duralast brand. Dont need your receipt, kinda cool

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Yeah, they are the Duralast brand. No questions asked, you just need to bring the old ones back in the new box. All the information is in the computer. This is the fourth set I've gotten free since paying for the first set.

Had another buddy who had the ceramic pads and he didn't like them. He took them off when they wore out and went to get the replacements. But he wanted the metallic pads instead. They gave him those and opened up the register and gave him $10 back because the ceramics were that much more expensive.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Timing chain on a 79 F model, while the motor is still installed. the motor just won't go high enough to slide th epan out without removing the pump and sump. Put that back in while keeping the sealant good and put the pump, pick up tube in the pan and squezzzzee thru the pan to bolt the pump and pick back to the motor and hope to runi the nice clean pan seal.

What a pain, but my son's buddy needed it done so I did it for him. It was not fun worst part not having the kid bring me a case of beer, too young, oh well.

All fixed and heard no compliants, knock on Ford blue.

·
Registered
219 Posts
clancyman427
not to rub salt in the wound but they also give you a 24 month no questions asked warrenty on rotors.if my daughter goes to long and she screws up the rotors,im talking no doubt about it her fault they give you brand new ones,to go with your new pads.
charlie

·
Registered
219 Posts
clancyman427
not to rub salt in the wound but they also give you a 24 month no questions asked warrenty on rotors.if my daughter goes to long and she screws up the rotors,im talking no doubt about it her fault they give you brand new ones,to go with your new pads.
charlie

·
Registered
249 Posts
My least favorite job is working on rusty mufflers.
My son is on his way to college, so we've been fixin on his honda. Dam rust :whore:

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Is waxing the car considered maintenance? I heard you should wax it to protect the paint. I HATE that. I dislike it so much that I never do it. When I was a kid and new to cars, it was almost enjoyable. Maybe if I had a good car it would be enjoyable now. Sure, I'd love to wax a CJ car that had a nice paint job if I happened to own one. Waxing a good car might be like petting a nice dog.

·
Registered
992 Posts
clancyman427
charlie

Well, that sounds awesome. Wish pep boys did that, oh well. last weekend i was all set to do all 4 wheels on my wife's 05 nissan altima se 3.5 liter (which by the way is a bona-fide, tire-smoking (don't tell her!) hot rod!) Oh my gosh if you floor it from a stop (no power brake necessary) it smokes the pass. front tire and leaves a long skid mark. It's so touchy off the line that the slightest gas pedal pressure and it wants to break loose, and the car is stone-stock. and it's a joy to work on, until now. the front rotors and pads were a breeze to do, but in the rear, the caliper bracket bolts wouldn't budge. I believe the factory used a thread locking compound on these 2 bolts. The heads are 19mm, and I tried to use my 1/2 impact gun, and they wouldn't budge. now, granted, i was using universal joints and extensions on the gun (access is tough on those bolts due to the independent rear suspension). but my gun says it goes to 400 ft lbs, so even if the torque is divided in half due to the universal joint angle, that still a lot to not budge the bolt! my next trick is to try to apply heat a'la propane torch (like i had to do on my 89 mustang motor mount nuts) and see if that will help move them. we'll see.

Larry, agreed on waxing, man i hate doing it!

Kevin

·
Registered
829 Posts
Oh yeah, just thought of another I will never do again- replacing the clutch on a 1988 ford bronco II. You have to actually unbolt the body from the frame if you are leaving the motor in the car! Ask me how I know...

·
Registered
170 Posts
About the trans fluid job that people seem to universally hate... A guy recommended that when I do it I replace the pan with one that has a drain plug, so I only ever have to deal with the AT fluid shower just the one time. Seemed like good advice. No? I've not done it yet but I'm sure looking forward to it after multiple people saying it's the worst maintenance job out there!

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #53 (Edited)
After the first 50 or so that I've done, I've gotten the hang of it to where I can contain the spill to where I want it to go. The only time I've installed a drain plug in an existing pan... it leaked. Right now with 5 cars in the fleet. Only one has a trans pan with a drain plug and it came that way.

Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
yeah, there are tips to every dirty job that make them easier or less dirty. Trans pan is one of those.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
When its not my car !

·
Registered
26 Posts
1967-1968
Heater core on an A/C Cougar --ughhhh... take out passenger seat helps
Changing plugs on a Big Block Cougar---Take off valve covers and sometimes jack engine up a little

·
Registered
171 Posts
I worked at a quick lube place when I was in high school and college, so I've serviced more transmissions and differentials than I care to think about. I've gotten so I can change the filter and gasket on an automatic without making too much of a mess of my garage floor.

My least favorite job is changing heater cores. I replaced the core on my '89 Mustang when I bought it, and 6 years and 11k miles later, it needs to be changed again. I must have some sort of bad car karma... In the last year the heater core failed in my '58 Impala, my '68 Mustang, my '87 Turbo Coupe (I have a new dashboard to replace the cracked original -- that'll be a fun job,) my '89 Mustang, and my '90 F-250. It's my least favorite chore, and I have 5 of them to do. :dogpile:

What is it with Ford heater cores? I've only had one heater core go bad on a GM car, and it lasted 52 years before failing. The only "easy" one of these is on my F-250. It doesn't require removing the dash, unlike the later F-series trucks. I guess I need to restock my beer fridge.

·
Registered
389 Posts
worst one i can think of was a 4.1 caddy motor in my mom's 86- changing the rear spark plugs....f'in stupid. i think they should ban FWD cars just for that reason haha

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
lol - luckily the f4 is all but retired - I can relate to heater core jobs, or any under dash or dash removal job for that matter. NOT as flexible I was a few years back!! Eyesight lacks a bit to be desired now that I think about it....I catch myself looking over the top of my glasses a lot lately:cry:

41 - 60 of 65 Posts