Mercury Cougar Owners banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
Not really a maintenance item, but replacing the blend door actuator on my daily driver. Failed in the full heat position in the middle of summer….

·
Registered
151 Posts
Changing the heater core. I am substantially older and heavier than I was last time I did this, so I think if it goes again I'll just bypass it and call it day. Also changing the driver's side back plug. It usually takes my knuckles a few weeks to recover.

Colin

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
I feel for you. I'm so happy that I don't have that same problem. It must suck owning that car :)

I'm also glad that I don't have to work on cross boss carburetors. They are hard to get running right I've heard. I'm glad I don't have to get the 6 foot long timing chain correctly set on a 427 SOHC drag Cougar. I'm glad that I don't have to find copper cooper rings for the heads on a Boss 429. That would suck. I'd also hate to clean the dead bugs out of the two air intake tubes on a 64 T-Bolt Fairlane.
:beer::lolani:
Right on, Larry.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Not really a maintenance item, but replacing the blend door actuator on my daily driver. Failed in the full heat position in the middle of summer….
True, not a maintenance item but definitely the toughest repair I've done yet on our Mark VIII. I used up at least a year's worth of patience in one 6 to 8 hour job.

Hero, maybe this will help.

When I was paid for wrenching in the mid '70s I used to use a tool similar to this one:

http://www.powerbuilttools.co.nz/powerbuiltgreasetools.htm

You connect your grease gun to the zerk on the tool and watch the dirty grease oozing out as the new grease replaces it. It was actually kind of satisfying, and slightly cleaner than the old hand method.

Roy

·
Registered
551 Posts
Oh yeah...the speedo cable is a total pain too. I know not much of a maint item. But when the housing gets melted or the cable breaks its a pain.

Chris

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Oh yeah...the speedo cable is a total pain too. I know not much of a maint item. But when the housing gets melted or the cable breaks its a pain.

Chris
Chris,

I know what you mean, I had to replace the speedo cable on my Boss 9 that was melted onto one of the headers. Even less room than a 427 GTE.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Dave,

PM me and I will give you my contact info...need to give you some info on an eliminator that is in the registry.

Chris

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Man - you guy's are depressing me...not a fan of trans filter change either, but that horrid smell of rearend lube (especially one that has never been done) is about enough to gag a maggot off a gut wagon!! Like a pig farmer - you can smell a guy who had been under there working on it 2 days later....that's why they call it a rearend! Guess what the cat was doing today on my first long drive I went on....grabbing funny on right hand turns in the rear!! ....go figure <sigh> frickin A

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
Drum Brakes on Top '5' of "Least Favorite" Maintenance Jobs

Drum brake jobs hold a top '5' spot on my list of least favorite vehicle maintenance jobs. I actually have an old pair of greasy, brake dust covered jeans that are permantly kept in the garage just for brake jobs... Never wash them and my Wife would most likely kill me if I stepped foot into the house wearing them. The washing machine is simply out of the question for this pair of Levis, and a ceremonial burning vigil in recognition of service will be in order when they are retired. (LOL). :lol2:

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
Spark plugs in my old 94 Astro van. I still have scars.

Rear Spark plugs in a 3.8-liter Taurus. Front ones aren't too bad, but I can't get enough leverage to pull the cables off the rear ones in mine. Oil filter in the same car. It's right over the front frame cross member. First time was really messy because the oil gets inside the frame members and drips for days after a change and wiping down. Now I put a piece of cardboard under it to keep the mess to a minimum.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Spark plugs in my old 94 Astro van. I still have scars.

Rear Spark plugs in a 3.8-liter Taurus. Front ones aren't too bad, but I can't get enough leverage to pull the cables off the rear ones in mine. Oil filter in the same car. It's right over the front frame cross member. First time was really messy because the oil gets inside the frame members and drips for days after a change and wiping down. Now I put a piece of cardboard under it to keep the mess to a minimum.
I understand completely on the 3.8. The wife used to have a 3.8 Windstar, and when it came time to replace the plugs, I got the fronts no problem, but it took me an extra 2½ hours to replace the rears! Afterwards, I pulled out the Haynes, and it said "to remove the firewall side plugs, you must do it from the underside of the car with the cowl removed." Took the book to my wife, and proudly proclaimed "Bull $#!†." Heh, won't ever have to do that job again, tho. Got rid of the bloody minivan. Her new car? I4.

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
I understand completely on the 3.8. The wife used to have a 3.8 Windstar, and when it came time to replace the plugs, I got the fronts no problem, but it took me an extra 2½ hours to replace the rears! Afterwards, I pulled out the Haynes, and it said "to remove the firewall side plugs, you must do it from the underside of the car with the cowl removed." Took the book to my wife, and proudly proclaimed "Bull $#!†." Heh, won't ever have to do that job again, tho. Got rid of the bloody minivan. Her new car? I4.
I changed the front plugs when it was necessary to replace the radiator.

I normally do most maintenance work on my cars. When the vehicle speed sensor in the Taurus crapped out, I tried to get in there to replace it. It would have been necessary to remove the exhaust y-pipe from the manifolds to get to the sensor. I needed to use a couple of extension bars and a wobbly joint to get a socket on the nuts. They wouldn't budge and I broke the wobbly joint. I took the car to the local dealer and had them replace the sensor and resolve a cople of other issues (split CV joint boot, trans seal leaks). Repairs cost more than the car did (I boought it for $500) but it was worth it. Car is low mileage and in excellent condition. PS the shop manual shows that replacing the speed sensor in a 3.0 Taurus is a much easier job than in a 3.8. The 3.8 is really crammed in there compared to a 3.0. Probably as bad as an FE in a Cougar and sideways to boot..

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
I'd have to agree with the "anything having to do with rusty bolts".
As of lately, though, I find myself ignoring anything under the car altogether.
Also, any job that I just finished and forgot one small detail somewhere in the first few steps, and now having to re-do the job.

Other than getting my hands super nasty, I kinda like doing axle bearings... ?

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Other than getting my hands super nasty, I kinda like doing axle bearings... ?

It helps when the axle removes itself from the housing itself doesn't it? :lol2:

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
It helps when the axle removes itself from the housing itself doesn't it? :lol2:
Yeah, the hardest part of ther job was already done for you... :eek:

·
Registered
219 Posts
six9coug and hero
thats just not right.pretty dam FUNNY i might add i laughed outloud .but just not right.sean im sorry i tried to take your back but i cant stop laughing.guess its just 1of thse things that hits you right in the funny bone. charlie

·
Registered
992 Posts
i gotta tell you i had a flash back when you started talking about life time brake pads.

how much money you think autozone made on that sale she has been doing that job 4 years likes it and not thinking of getting rid of her tauras.

So, are you saying you don't have to pay for new pads when they wear out? the only warranty i know of on brake pads is limited lifetime, and the parts counter tells me its for defects only.

Kevin

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
And a free show in the process! :sun:

I'm sure glad that's over.
Speaking of, did that axle you got from me work out ok?

21 - 40 of 65 Posts