Mercury Cougar Owners banner

What's with the notch in the timing cover/water pump?

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  70_cougar 
#1 ·
There is a small notch at the bottom of the water pump mount surface on the timing cover. Won't water leak from here? I assume that I am to make sure the Permatex fills this void.

I know this is where it leaks when the water pump "goes"

Is this notch serve a purpose? Should I just make sure it gets plugged?

#2 ·
The notch is there to serve as a drain in case the plate of the back of the water pump leaks. At least then you'll know there's a problem before it gets out of hand. Youll notice that many times there is a hole outboard of the seal on the front of the water pump snout as well.. serves the same purpose.

#4 ·
Commonly called a "weep hole", indicating pending failure when you see coolant from there.

#5 ·
There is a small notch at the bottom of the water pump mount surface on the timing cover.

Is this notch serve a purpose? Should I just make sure it gets plugged?
If you fail to install the gasket between the pump plate and timing cover, coolant will leak from this gap.

If there is a hole in the plate between the timing cover and the pump, coolant will come out this gap.

If the gasket is bad where the coolant passages (the 2 "D" shaped ports) are between the timing cover and the steel plate, coolant will come out this gap.

John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.