Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the fenders off of my 68 and I'm trying to get the door gaps set before taking the car to the paint shop. Is there a secret to getting the gaps set and maintaining a smooth latch? The bushings are new.
I thought that maybe taking the latch striker off would help but couldn't get the screws loose. Is there a trick to getting them loose?

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Jim,

An impact screwdriver is often required to get them to budge. Here's a cheap one I bought for the job: http://www.harborfreight.com/impact-screwdriver-set-with-case-37530.html For how much I use one of these, was good enough.

You are on the right track, when we hung the new doors and hinges on my car, we did it with no strikers. The only "tricks" I can recommend are to align the doors to the body (jambs and rockers) first and get them looking good and then the fenders to the doors when the time comes. The only thing that you really cannot do with total accuracy is the "in/out" of the front of the doors, you have to eyeball it and/or use the current weatherstrip and getting it to seal well as your guide (if you still have WS on the doors). Otherwise, it is somewhat luck how the fenders, hood (and cowl if yours is a 69/70) will fit to each other (gaps) and/or be prepared to mess with the doors some more when you put the front end on. It is somewhat of an art. The door to fenders gaps you of course have control of. On my car the gaps of the front end on my car things came out fairly well but I would like the hood to fender gaps to be a little tighter than they are. However, I was not about to jump back into door adjustments (and mess up the paint on the bolts, pull my hair out, etc...) at this time. Maybe some rainy day.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. That info was a big help. After pounding on the on the impact screwdriver for about 20 minutes I ahd to resort to fire and heat the scres up. They loosened up easily after that. Setting the door gaps is like working a rubix cube.

·
Registered
992 Posts
What you never broke one apart to put back together solved? I remember back when they came out of people moving the stickers- now THAT was cheating....can't shortcut cougar solving, I'm afraid.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts