Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to find out the name of the part on both sides of a 69 convertible by the top of the windshield. It's the metal piece that has the pivoting arm of the sunvisor as well as the hook that holds down the convertible top. I don't have a picture but I can post one tomorrow if necessary. Both of mine are in bad shape and the sunvisor arms make so much noise when I move them and even during driving when I hit a bump so I want to try cleaning them out or replacing them. Thanks!

Ben

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Looking at some pictures on WCCC's website, I don't think the hooks go into them, but I know the sunvisor arm does. It's held in place by two screws that go up underneath the windshield and at least one behind the a pillar mouldings.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
I think they are called Convertible Sunvisor pivots. So far as I know, they are not reproduced, were designed to pit out, and are not the same as Mustang (I'm not 100% on that last bit, but I think I have a set from a Mustang which had different mounting spots than the ones on my Cougar).

Is the squeak from the pivot or from the sunvisor rubbing on the rod? You might try pull the sunvisor pad off the rod and cleaning that up - spray some white litium on it. If the squeak is from the pivot point, you'll have to decide if it's worth removing everything necessary to get at it vs. putting some drip rags down and then spraying it with WD40 followed by lithium grease after it's cleaned up.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Ben:

Visor pivots and yes the top hooks latch into them (on a convertible). They are held in by three screws, one behind the pillar molding as you observe, one in the hook pocket and one under the header trim. The correct finish for them is brushed nickel (heard recently) or satin chrome (per Ray Harwood). Had the pivots and header replated on mine (not cheap). In any case it has the appearance of brushed stainless more or less.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info! The noise is when you move the visor from in front to the side by the door, like the clicking of a spring. I'm not sure exactly if that's the noise I'm hearing when driving so I figured I wouldn't know until I either sprayed it like Mreos suggested or removed it completely. When I go over certain bumps or even when the transmission shifts sometimes, I get a click by the trim behind the visor, kind of near the windshield. I removed the metal trim that goes across the top and it still makes the noise. I've tried banging on the windshield and all around there from the inside and can't replicate the noise. I loosened the a pillar moulding and it seemed to have gotten better but I've only driven in one day since I loosened it. It's not a major thing, but those little noises like that drive me crazy so I'll have to keep digging.

Those pieces do pit pretty badly. Mine look bad almost to the point I thought they may have been designed like that, So I think I have to remove them anyway to clean them up with a 0000 pad.

Thanks again for the help!

Ben

1 - 5 of 5 Posts