Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best way to get the tires to smoke during a burn out, without brake torquing? My Cougar is not a drag car. It does have a limited slip diff. It will spin the tires but no smoke is generated. I want to get a short video of me smoking the tires just for show.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
I'd say try a little water (rather than bleach which I understand was used back in the day).

·
Registered
8,194 Posts

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
hey Lew, I <3 your car, man. Really gorgeous.

puddle of water is a good way to get the wheel speed up without power braking it.

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
You could always do what the hoodlum down the street used to do.....

.... get the car rolling pretty good about 25-35 mph then let off the gas, coast.....

... then JAM it in reverse and STAND ON THE GAS!!!!

Smoke like you've never seen.

Seriously.....:eek2:

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Well not all brand of tires produces smoke when you "smoke" em, just pour some antifreeze on the tires, and they´ll make really good smoke ;)

·
Registered
210 Posts
You could always do what the hoodlum down the street used to do.....

.... get the car rolling pretty good about 25-35 mph then let off the gas, coast.....

... then JAM it in reverse and STAND ON THE GAS!!!!

Smoke like you've never seen.

Seriously.....:eek2:

i did this when i was a kid with my friends moms car LMAO good times.....

·
Registered
389 Posts
any tire when spun fast enough will smoke. FWD 4 banger cavaliers will for one...(85 cavalier my sister's first car way back in the day. we set the parking brake and neutral dropped it hahha. it would spin em all day long at like a whopping indicated 20mph and smoke the pep boys special tires haha. that car took a beating)

but if u need help getting it to spin, either brake stand it, bleach or water or as stated above anti freeze. or u could cheat and armor all the entire tire just to help it break loose...:)

·
Registered
107 Posts
My dads 95 Lincoln Town Car with early version of modular engine smokes the tires real nice. He was in car when I did it. Haven't driven it since....

It's a real nice driving car by the way. Can't even tell it's running when sittin still.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
My dads 95 Lincoln Town Car with early version of modular engine smokes the tires real nice. He was in car when I did it. Haven't driven it since....
Now that is funny :buck:. Did that catch him by surprise? John

·
Registered
107 Posts
Now that is funny :buck:. Did that catch him by surprise? John
Probably did. I just stopped for the lights, and while I was waiting I looked around to see if there were any cops. Light turned green and I put it to the floor. Smoked all thru the intersection then let up on it, he about crapped in his pants...I knew he was calculation how many miles I smoked off his tires...my mother was in the back enjoying the whole thing.....I was suprised that they spun and smoked as much as they did. This is an early modular with distrubitor sticking out in front of each cylinder head. Runs as smooth and quiet as can be, he still has it. Sez it is the best car he's ever owned and doesn't plan on getting rid of it anytime soon. And at 89, he's had quite a few.. Oh yea, this happened maybe 7 or 8 yrs ago....

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
If you read the original post, he says he has no problem spinning the tires, they just don´t make any real smoke when he spins them

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
....ummmmmm.... [Tim Allen] MORE POWER! Uh-huh-huh [/Tim Allen] :burnout:

Seriously though, it all comes down to tread compound. The actual composition of the tires. Some are harder than others.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts