Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I'm getting my car painted I'm going to clean the moulding and chrome parts while they are off the car. What;'s the best stuff to get the stainless steel moulding clean and shiney?

I will also be doing the chrome parts. What's the best stuff for them?

Lastly, the moulding that goes around the the rear vinyl top, between the rear glass and deck lid, is black. This does not look like painted moulding. Is this some kind of black plating? This is on a 68.

·
Registered
152 Posts
If it's any help I used Never Dull wadding on the moldings along the trunk, hood, and windows. It can be bought at your local auto parts store or Walmart. For parts that are 44 yrs old it worked great. I may have acquired life long loss in the feelings in my hands but the parts look respectable and the before and after pics are impressive. If anything else is better please chime in, I'm all ears on this topic.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Most of the trim/molding other then the window trim is anodized aluminum and a pain in the azz to clean. I used crystal drano It removes the anodized from the alum so you can polish it. Takes some time to get it looking good the drano turns the trim black/gray looking then polish and then polish some more If you want to research this route get some parts to test the time it takes to remove the anodized from it because it will eat holes in it. Here is a pic of my rear trim It was so dull it looked like brushed alum before I redone it came out pretty nice took some time tho. 100_1231.jpg http://www.secondchancegarage.com/public/665.cfm Here is some info on it,

·
Registered
913 Posts
For stainless steel, I use 4 0 steel wool and chrome polish from a tube, looks like tooth paste. use only OOOO steel wool. It won't take out dents but sure shines.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Blue Magic metal cleaner works well, but it doesn't take off old anodizing.....

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
tow cat has it right--0000 steel wool and wenol works wonders---oooo steel wool also works on glass---wenol and a soft cloth renews plastic gauge lens ans taillight lens--if your polishing next to paint , lay down a layer of maskig tape to potect the paint--i've even used wenol to polish areas that you've brush touched up/and 1500 grit papered
doctordesoto

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
tow cat has it right--0000 steel wool and wenol works wonders---oooo steel wool also works on glass---wenol and a soft cloth renews plastic gauge lens ans taillight lens--if your polishing next to paint , lay down a layer of maskig tape to potect the paint--i've even used wenol to polish areas that you've brush touched up/and 1500 grit papered
doctordesoto
After the steel wool, is the trim buffed by hand with wenol or with a drill and buffing pad?

Is the rocker panel trim (under the door on a 68) Aluminum or stainless steel?

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
After the steel wool, is the trim buffed by hand with wenol or with a drill and buffing pad?

Is the rocker panel trim (under the door on a 68) Aluminum or stainless steel?
You could do it either way.
Rocker panel is anodized aluminum.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Get some Scotch Brite pads. The tip is to get them at HOME DEPOT. They have large pads that can be cut into quarters for a lot less than you would buy at the grocery store. OK add a little hand cleaner- the automotive type or Bar Tenders Freind Like AJAX only better. Clean the pieces only with this syep. Then go to the parts store and get Mothers Billet Cleaner- Brand New Stuff. I just finished cleaning an aluminum coffee pot from the 50s. It was dull as hell, now it has a, I kid you not, mirror finish.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts