Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, just starting to dig into repairing/upgrading my Dad's 69 vert. I'm new here and bringing only very basic knowledge. I 'm trying to figure out exactly what the engine in the car is. My Dad "blew up" the original 351 in the mid 70's and had a replacement engine put in. To the best of his knowledge, he thinks it was a 351W out of an early 70's Merc Monterey or similar. I've done a couple of thread searches, but I'm still not quite sure where on the engine I should be looking for casting numbers or other identifying marks. Once I get what I need I know you guys can help me, I'm quite impressed with your knowledge! Thanks...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Check on the passengers side of the block for the casting numbers and a date code. The date code will either be 3 or 4 characters (example would be like 7A5 or 8F22). It should be easy to see it (the casting number & date code) with the starter removed. John

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Looks like a 351W.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Intake looks narrower then 351W, like a 289/302.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Intake looks narrower then 351W, like a 289/302.
This was my initial thought as well but since I am more a C guy than a W guy, I was not sure. However, now that you've said this, I eagerly agree! :buck:

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Since it is an aftermarket intake, it will be stamped with either 289/302 or 351W somewhere on it.

I am a C guy as well, but it looks like a 351W to me, but, prove me wrong, after all, it has been done many times in the past.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Looks like a Windsor. Alt bracket, & A/C brkt all point to Windsor. Maybe just angle pic was taken causes manifold to look a bit narrow. Also looks like not enough room btwn shock twr and exhaust man to be 289/302

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Good to hear from you, Bill. You must be getting on here easier than before. Haven't seen you at the Golden cruise and I've been every first Sat. of the month. Hope all is well.

It looks kinda short as well (windsor has higher deck) but I'm probably wrong and it is a windsor.
Bill looks at these things all day.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Hey Jeff, I did see you last month going to the crusie in the maroon 69 XR vert. I did get a notebook that is easier to access, but still so busy!

Anyway, let's see what the intake turns out to be. Kinda fun trying to figure things out!

Give me a call!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep, that's an Edelbrock Performer 351W. I had always assumed that it was indeed a 351W, I just wanted to know some more details about the specifics, since my Dad can't remember. What started this was when I went to put new plugs in the car. At AutoZone they have the car listed as a '69, so the plugs I got were of the 13/16 variety. When I went to replace them, the ones in the engine are of the 5/8 variety.
OK, date is on the pass. side of the block. Where specifically on the block? Do I really have to remove the starter, or is the code visible without, or in another location? Thanks...

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
OK, date is on the pass. side of the block. Where specifically on the block? Do I really have to remove the starter, or is the code visible without, or in another location? Thanks...
If you can put the front on ramps or the car on a lift, you might be able to see the casting number & date code with lighting from underneath without removing the starter even though my High Performance Ford Engine Parts Interchange book says they're above the starter. The date code would be below the casting number towards the back of the block. John

·
Registered
174 Posts
Im not sure if it's the same, here' 1968 302 J code.jpg s a 68 302, hopefully it helps in some way
can be seen with starter on if you bend your neck the right way

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Finally got around to pulling the starter. Here's what I found on the block: D4AE-6015-AA 6 and under that in smaller letters what appears to be 5M5.
It's possible that the "6"s in the longer # could be 8s, even after some degreaser it was not a sure thing. So, yea it's a 351W, but what else does this tell me?

·
Registered
122 Posts
here are the casting number breakdowns

D10E-AA 302 '70-'74
D1TE-AA 302 '71-'74 Truck block
D4DE-AA 302 '74
D5ZY-AA 302 '75-'81
D2AE-BA 351W '71-'74
D4AE-AA 351W '71-'74
D4AE-DA 351W '75-'81

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Here's the breakdown of the casting number:D-Decade for 1970's, 4-Year of decade-4 (so, D4 would be 1974),A-Is for carline for Ford, E-Is the Engineering Group for Engine, 6015-Is the Basic Part Number for an engine block, AA-Is the change level, 25th in this case (A would be original so you start with B for the 1st one. Ford didn't use the letter I which could be mistaken for a 1 or L). I don't know what the 6 would be. 5M5 is the date code for when the block was cast, so the first 5 is the is for the year 1975, M-would be the month for Dec & the second 5 is the day, 5th. This block was cast on Dec. 5th, 1975. John

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks John, that's awesome. Couple more questions: If it's a 1974 (D4), why is the casting date in December of 1975? What's a "change level"? Just from this block code I guess there's no way to know what kind of car it came out of, could be any Ford/Mercury car?

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Thanks John, that's awesome. Couple more questions: If it's a 1974 (D4), why is the casting date in December of 1975? What's a "change level"? Just from this block code I guess there's no way to know what kind of car it came out of, could be any Ford/Mercury car?
Those are great questions. I'm not sure why a 1974 casting number would have a casting date of Dec. 1975. A change level is an engineering change of the part (I don't know what the change is unfortunately). This is just my opinion but I believe this motor, with a Dec. 1975 casting date was originally in a car for the 1976 model year. Regarding what kind of car the motor originally came out of, (I've never owned a 351W engine)you might look on the back of the block just below the head (try on the drivers side first) and see if you see a VIN stamped there (It could be hard to see, so you might use a mirror to see) and post the info. Perhaps someone else with more experience could chime in about the casting number and later date code and explain it (I sure would like to know). John

1 - 17 of 17 Posts