Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am ready to being the make over on my Cougar. I've been told by many that I'm am making a mistake by not leaving it stock. Its a base model 289 car that's in very good condition. I am the second owner, it has 92k on it. My question is not what the car is worth but the Engine and Trans. with anything and everything under the hood included. I've decided to put a stroker motor the car. Originally I was was going to keep the Engine and Trans in case I decided to put it back to OE. Depending what its worth will determine my decision. Its still in the car now and runs perfect. any thoughts? Thanks. Andrew

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Honestly, it depends. Does it have ALL the original equipment on it? Air cleaner, alternator, 2V carb, etc? It may be worth more to some, than others. It used to be a dollar a cubic inch. Nowadays, with roller engines being so easy to find, (in my opinion) stock early stuff, just isn't worth what it used to be. It still has value, but just not what it was a few years ago...

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
It value is if everything is date coded and serviceable.

I purchased a OEM, complete (exhaust manifolds, air cleaner to oil pan, fan to drive shaft yoke), used and running, 1968 302-4V engine with C-4 transmission for $700. All date coded for my Mustang. Included was a 2nd Autolite 4300 carburetor, which was the original one from the engine.

I thought that it was a great deal, considering that it was a perfect match date code wise, for the GT/CS.
Additionally the guy had the complete exhaust system that happened to have a perfect original H pipe. Included in the deal. ;-)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts