Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 3 good+ quality front ends for 67 cats. I am debating the merits of cleaning them up, dropping a fresh coat of primer and black paint on them and making htem available for folks.

I've seen these things be in demand for upwards of $1500 a complete front end but I am not sure if that is realistic or not. The 3 assemblies I have include the vacum cans in unknown condition, the buckets to hold the headlights and the complete center section including chrome and emblems as well as the full grille.

Anyone know what something like this is worth and what the intrest might be. I'll be honest I am not intrested in doing a bunch of work for nothing but if they are really worth $1k+ I wouldn't mind funding some of the work I am doing on the vert right now.

Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
if they were for a 69 in nice shape i could see it. 1st gen are not that hard to find. i probably have half a pickup load of the 67 68 grilles with very little demand. thats been my experience anyways. :)

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
I have 3 good+ quality front ends for 67 cats. I am debating the merits of cleaning them up, dropping a fresh coat of primer and black paint on them and making htem available for folks.

I've seen these things be in demand for upwards of $1500 a complete front end but I am not sure if that is realistic or not. The 3 assemblies I have include the vacum cans in unknown condition, the buckets to hold the headlights and the complete center section including chrome and emblems as well as the full grille.

Anyone know what something like this is worth and what the intrest might be. I'll be honest I am not intrested in doing a bunch of work for nothing but if they are really worth $1k+ I wouldn't mind funding some of the work I am doing on the vert right now.

Thanks,
Mark

Mark,

The best guy to look at the whole batch might be Mr. VacuumMan, and he's in Canada..have you already talked?

Good cores are rarer and rarer these days, and I know he's working on some concours sets for a couple GT-Es (so the '67s might not work) but it might be worth inquiring..

Just a thought.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
You can buy these set ups for $300 or less if you're patient. Even less if you buy the individual components. If you want to get $1500 for one, I would think it would involve a bit more than a fresh coat of paint. Nice chrome, new emblems, good working motors, etc. would get you some buyers at that level.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
67's are different than 68's and i've personally have never seen a 67 that was'nt cracked where it meets the center section---somewhere along the way , mercury realized the problem and fixed it---i have one 67 and one 68 in our 67 and i was able to make a bolt in repair for the 67 that is hardly noticeable---at least nowone has pointed at it and laughed
doctordesoto

·
Registered
270 Posts
You can buy these set ups for $300 or less if you're patient. Even less if you buy the individual components. If you want to get $1500 for one, I would think it would involve a bit more than a fresh coat of paint. Nice chrome, new emblems, good working motors, etc. would get you some buyers at that level.
I agree, I don't need one for my cat, they do seem to show up for the $250-$300 range. On the other end of the scale, I remember seeing the very nicely restored one, for over $4k on Don's sight, which I assume he sold.:eek2:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I agree with 68xr7gt4spd...I have bid on ebay a couple of times in the past for a '69 grille that all went for over $1200

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
I agree, I don't need one for my cat, they do seem to show up for the $250-$300 range. On the other end of the scale, I remember seeing the very nicely restored one, for over $4k on Don's sight, which I assume he sold.:eek2:

Yes, the one on WCCCs site is done by Mr VacuumMan..he did my GT-Es front assembly..and there is a TON of stuff involved..actuators, springs, powdercoated buckets, newly polished headlight trim rings, repainted bezels, warranteed (lifetime) actuators with correct paint dobs, horns rebuilt and warranteed, wire harnesses for horns new and color-correct..it goes on and on. And they are spotless and all edges are smooth and rock pitts, etc. are smoothed, filled and the assemblies are painted several times (where they're not powdercoated)

Thus, good cores might be valuable ;)

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all of the feedback guys. I've talked to Darrin a couple of times he only lives about an hour away. I wasn't trying to flog my parts off on anyone but I figured if there were people apying $1500 a crack for 67 front ends I'd get in on the action :) Turns out, as with most stories, I wasn't thorough enough in my research.

I plan to go visit Darrin this spring and see his new setup and maybe see if I can put an information page up for him on the CougarOwners site. (oh yeah and Darrin, if you read this, yeah, I'm coming to visit this spring etc etc ;) )

Thanks for all of the input guys. Sounds like I'll hang onto my parts unless Darrin wants them. I know we can work out some deal if he's intrested as there a bunches of parts I need for my cars.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts