Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So im planing on buying a house soon and my old roomate left me with a C6 transmission he rebuilt while doing his auto tech classes in college. Its been sitting for a few years and was never used. I'm planning on selling it and giving him the cash since he doesnt have anything to put the trans in and im not using it. Whats it worth?

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Probably the cost of the rebuild kit, plus a hundred bucks...

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Price can vary. One would need to know which C6 transmission that you have.
Did it come out of a Cougar? Was it behind a 390?, 428CJ?, or later small block C6 behind a 351C? or 351CJ (this one had a unique flexplate and torque converter)?

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
You also need to be concerned with how long it has been sitting, fresh rebuild or not. The valves and stuff will stick after sitting a while and it will never shift right without being gone through again.

I speak from experience here.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Price can vary. One would need to know which C6 transmission that you have.
Did it come out of a Cougar? Was it behind a 390?, 428CJ?, or later small block C6 behind a 351C? or 351CJ (this one had a unique flexplate and torque converter)?
there is a c6 that you can get for a 302 aswell!!

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Local Hero, Good advice. Was wondering after having one rebuilt how long it could or should sit. Engine and tranny will be the last things I do on my car, now maybe the tranny will be the last! When it is done I will be able too bolt it up and hopefully install it. My plan anyway. Long way off.

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
My C6 sat about 3 years or so while I lost my job, freelanced for a year, changed careers and then started working again. Then it was another year to recover from NOT working. When I put the trans in the car, it wouldn't shift right and after a season of screwing around, yanked it and had the valve body gone through again. Many of the valves and stuff were stuck.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
C-6 was available in Small Block (302/351W/351C), FE (352/390/428) and Tall Block (351M/400/429/460)

Many different tailshaft length (and trans mount) variations was well...

Until we know what you have, it is hard to put a value on it.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Any easy way to find out what it fits?
Can you see if there is a transmission tag attached to one of the case bolts and post the info from the tag. Also, if there isn't a tag, look on top of the casing for a partial VIN ie: 8F5XXXXX. John

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Partial VIN won't help much since many car lines were available with any number of engine family choices. For example, a '74 mid-size Ford or Merc could have a 302 or 351W which would have a small-block pattern, or a 400 or 460 which would be tall block. Partial VIN does NOT tell what the engine code was.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts