Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I have no intentions of getting rid of my car I was curious what people think it would be worth. It is a 67 xr7 iverness green with a 289 4 bbl along with the console and clock.
34k original miles
Original paint with nicks and scratches but shows and shines well for original paint.
The car was garaged its whole life and the interior looks as if it came off the showroom floor.
Motor is completely stock and has all its tags to include assembly line inspection stickers.
All the electricals work minus clock(a small project)
AM radio works like new
Dash is absolutely perfect
black top is almost perfect
chrome is very nice original condition
pot metal very nice a few dings here and there
original carb with tags
Brakes are power drum(not good I know but they work well) Original drums down to the hold down tabs
mechanically it runs like it is new. No smoke
Exaust was changed to a dual setup
paperwork from the original application for registration to still having the original plates from the original owner is with the car.
I plan to keep it for a long time and possibly ship it overseas as I will retire there. While the marty report said it was not rare by any sense, the paint and trim codes were matched by just over 1000 cars. I dont believe many would be better then this one. So the million dollar question is what is this time capsule worth. Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
I'm no expert here, but a very similar 69 XR7 story locally tried to get 25K out of his, I told him realistically he was looking at 15K but I would be interested at 10k. that was about 1 yr ago - last I saw, it was finally being offered at 15 but I lost track of whether he sold it or not. I think you have a more attractive color combo, but the cats just don't bring mustang money for some reason. (lucky for us cat lovers!) I guess it's worth whatever you are willing to let it go for - maybe more overseas though! A lot of them getting snapped up in the finger counties in particular!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Want to find the car of your dreams? Just jump on another, then your dream car will come along! I suppose this 67 was from just north of CR. I spotted it once and couldn't catch up to it. I just bought a Cobra Jet project, otherwise I would be on that like a cheap suit. Tell em to hold it a year for me. Then you would find out how much it is worth. Is it a Dan Gurney?

·
Registered
104 Posts
This maybe of little help, but I just bought a 67 XR-7 that seems to be close to yours. It had the original 289 4V that had recently been rebuilt along with the trans. I paid $8,250 for mine, but I would have paid 10 at least. Maybe this will give you a ball park figure.

·
Registered
391 Posts
That is a very nice looking car!

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
Very nice! If it looks that good in person, I'd put the value at somewhere around $12-15K, depending on how numerous and noticeable are the cosmetic defects.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here some pictures of when I first got the car. Not I have changed the ignition wires, hoses, clamps, belts so I could drive the car. Engine bay still needs cleaning. Notice the block heater piping thy PO installed. The assembly line stickers are still present in the uppe right corner. Neat I thought. Hope you all enjoy the pics. I love this car.

·
Registered
336 Posts
That is a nice looking car, shame they don't fetch similar money to a Mustang, but it was the reason I bought mine. I thought, compared to a Mustang, a Cougar represents bloody good value, I've only ever seen one other in Auckland, NZ, but I know there are more, but Mustangs are common as, even here in NZ.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Very sharp cat indeed! Love the color and the relatively untouched condition too....very neat.

·
Contributing Member
1,011 Posts
Very, Very nice car. What did you pay for it? You just dont see many low milage cars in that condition. Great colors too!

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Agree! SUPER NICE CAT.
I gotta ask...why do you want opinions on value if you never intend on selling? Insurance value??

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Agree! SUPER NICE CAT.
I gotta ask...why do you want opinions on value if you never intend on selling? Insurance value??
Not having a cougar for over 10 years and seeing the prices all over the place I really needed to validate whether my purchase was a good deal. Additionally, I want to insure it properly. I paid under 10k for it but already have many hours of labor in it and have spent over 2k to get her on the road. That being said I think it was a good purchase from every angle i see. The forum also really gives me an idea of what other ones I might want to buy are worth. My next one will be modified with a modern drivetrain. Possibly a new 5.0 with a 6 speed. I think this would be a great combo so getting a good shell with a complete interior should be an affordable prospect. I only plan on adding steel style wheels to my cat and I my lower the front end to even out the back. This will be the extent of my changes. Does anyone know a great painter in the DC region. While the photos dont show the rocker areas, they have been nicked up by road matter and I would like to paint that area. I can live with the original paint and its patina but the rockers need protection so they dont start to rust. Thanks for all the great comments.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts