Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I pulled the carb on my 73 xr7 to rebuild it. I'm gonna finish it and replace it just to see if the carb is the prob- )earlier thread on dies after 3 minute warm up). Since I'm getting in the groove and having a good look at the manifold without the carb sitting on it, I think I'll put the new aussie intake I got back on soon- a stock iron job that bolts on to the 2v heads and takes a 4bbl carb.

It look likes it will take a 4100 4bbl hose-for-hose; but I am wondering if there is a better factory 4bbl that will bolt on just as neatly that is perhaps a better match. I have an Edel. 600 w/elec chocke in the box I was thinking of using; but I'm not committed to using it.

Anyone have any ideas here on a good near stock upgrade for carbs?

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
the 600 ed. you got will be great on the 4 barrel intake. I would use it, since you already have it. A used 4100 will more then likely be used up, and not run good, unless you rebuild it. Use the 600 for now :)

Rick

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What are you, nuts?

Just kidding Rick,

It's been awhile since I swapped out a carb that was not brand similar. Is the 600 fairly user friendly? Will it have most of the porting/Vac valves needed So I won't end up with vacuum line/plugs everywhere?

Thanks oh Dark one?

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
its been awhile since I had my cleveland together, but it is very user friendly, and simple to get running and has the proper vac. ports for your motor. I would use it, and you'll really enjoy the carb.

Rick

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
I've used edelbrocks successfully for racing and street duty. They work very well. And, they more often than not will be a bolt on item for a mild/stock engine that won't have to be tuned at all. Seriously. I've bolted more than a dozen on to engines (mild to semi wild) that only needed idle and mixture adjustment. I love them and can't endorse them strongly enough.

However, if you are running a stock breather you may have fitment issues there.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm convinced already

OK, well I'm sold. I'll go for it. I was originally going to buy an Edel Performer to stick on my 351c; but I want to get a set of aussie heads this spring, so I opted for the matching intake. It is the aussie version of stock that bolts up to the 2v aussie heads and takes a 4bbl carb. After just finishing up the rebuild on the 2100 2bbl, I feel like the change should be an afternoons work- looks real easy.

I have not removed the intake from a 351c before- do I really not need to take the distributor and thermostat housing off the block to pull the manifold?

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
"I have not removed the intake from a 351c before- do I really not need to take the distributor and thermostat housing off the block to pull the manifold?"

Nope.
Just be careful when lifting the intake off. It can be a heavy piece for the lower back at that angle.
One more tip. Dont use the stupid little rubber intake end pieces in the gasket kit. Use RTV sealer instead. The rubber pieces will aggravate you to death when they slip and slide. I just toss em out nowadays.
Sounds like a real sleeper with the iron intake.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sleeper is was I'm after alright. I can't wait to see the look on some of these kid's faces as I leave them and their rice grinders way in the dust; maybe it's me, but I don't remember being so cocky ever when I drove a 4 cylinder?!:confused:

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
maybe it's me, but I don't remember being so cocky ever when I drove a 4 cylinder?!
They don't know any better. It really is sad. :(

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I also endorse the Eldebrock carb. Just remember before you try to make a afternoon job out of it to make sure you have the nessassary Ford kickdown lever if you dont have it with the carb you have. Also you will need to reroute the fuel line but thats not a big deal. Check your air cleaner to see if it fits also as my 69 needed a spacer to clear it. There just a plastic spacer that fits between the carb and the air cleaner, inexpensive and I think summit carries them if you cant find one localy. mm

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Funny you should mention it- the intake gasket, that is. I was reading in Musclecar Hi-Po that when making a change in Intake Manifolds, to replace the gasket with part number D1ZZ-9433-A. It is a Boss 302 paper gasket for the intake. This is spec'd for a 351 intake in this article. Anyone ever hear of this?

·
Registered
121 Posts
I used the RTV stuff on my 351 when I put the Edelbrock manifold on. Unfortunately, I had to take it to a shop when I tried to get it to pass emissions and they screwed up the first set of gaskets when they put on the cork ones and didn't tighten everything down so when they got the second set they used the cork ends again but this time TORQUED the heck out of things. I have never gone in and taken them out, but I was flaming mad when I saw the shoddy work they did. AND IT STILL DIDN'T PASS. They said, oh well, you'll just have to get it waived for a year or spend another 500 to get the heads redone. We can't really help you. That's why I will never let anyone else touch my cars. From now on I'm the only one doing work on them. Now I just need a driveway or garage to do the work......

1 - 13 of 13 Posts