Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm beginning my search for the front & back spoilers and hood scoop to be used on my 70 cougar, basing it on the Eliminator.

What's a fair price for this stuff in good used or used reproduction condition?

Is the scoops and spoilers used on the 69 Cougar the same style?

How about the 69/70 mustang scoops and spoilers, are they the same?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
ok, let the young un hit at this first..... the Mustang ones are not correct for the Cougar, and if im not mistaken the rear spoiler for the 69 is different than the 70s. am i right?? do i get any points???

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
Johns Classic Cougars catalogue has reproduction urethane front spoilers for 69/70 for $130 or fibreglass for $85. Reproduction rear wing is $135; reproduction eliminator scoop is $110.

Most people recommend buying original scoop off internet as holes on reproduction scopes are different positions. Some of the rear wing have different pedestal mounting points as well

I suggest you give John a call on 616 396 0390. Some of the other vendors may also stock these parts

Mustang Mach 1 and Boss scoops are different to Cougar.

·
Registered
109 Posts
The repo rear spoilers are 36 inches between pedestals, which is what the '70 Eliminators had. The '69's were 32inches between. Buy a repo for a '70 Cougar or Mustang and you'll be all right. Priced around $120-130. Correct repo's of the front spoiler are around the same price and as far as I know Ken's and John's Classic's are the only ones that have these. Hope this helps.

Barry

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
The thing with repo rear spoilers is they are cheaply made. The start to sag in the middle after awhile. Originals don't. I think it would be worth getting an original wing at least, there's a few on Ebay right now, type in cougar spoiler in search, last I looked there was an original 70 rear, a 69 rear top only,and 1 other. Repo front spoilers are good, chances are you might curb it, and it will crack, so I'd rather crack a repo than an original. I curbed my original, fixed it, then it went missing, someone stole it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
The factory hood scoops also have extra re-inforcements around the stud holes, and are made of thicker fiberglass. After market ones are not that good, least in Canada anyways. Find an original scoop and rear spoiler with the trunk mounting hardware and get a repo front spoiler. Just my .002

·
Registered
305 Posts
Rear deck spoilers

Hi Whizco, Yes its the same 70_Cougar as VMF! Be aware that some of the rear spoilers have shorter legs than the original and will just touch the tops of the fenders.
There are also different widthes between the legs. I suggest you open the trunk and measure the distance between the cutouts in the underside of the trunk lid. You can use other than original size but by measuring it, you will see what you have to play with. John

·
Registered
889 Posts
I fonund a web site called crites restoration they make and sell all kinds of mercury and ford parts they have a 69 eliminator hood scoop for 69.00 plus 10.00 shiping when I e-mailed some questions they did say it looks and bolts on like the factory web site www.critesrestoration.com Dan

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
REAR SPOILER ON 69 ELIMINATORS

TAKE CARE. NOT ONLY ARE THE POSTS OF DIFFERENT WIDTH FOR THE 69 ( AS COMPARED TO THE 1970 ) BUT THE 70 ELIMINATOR SPOILER WAS MADE OF FIBERGLASS AND HEAVY REQUIRING A PROP ROD LIKE THE MUSTANGS WHICH WILL BE REQUIRED TO BE ORIGINAL. THE 69 ELIMINATOR SPOILER WAS MADE OF HOLLOW ABS PLASTIC AND MUCH LIGHTER WEIGHT AND VERY RARE ANS IT IS ONLY CORRECT FOR THE 69 ELIMINATOR.. NO PROP ROD FOR THE 69 AND NO RE-INFORCEMENT PLATES ON THE UNDERSIDE OF THE TRUNK.. HOPE THIS HELPS. I HAVE OWNED SEVERAL ELIMINATORS AND HAVE COMPARED THE DIFFERENCE.. BRAD

·
Registered
329 Posts
Hood Scoop & Rear Spoiler

I have a hood scoop & rear spoiler I removed from my 70 XR7 convertible because I'm putting the car back to It's orignal form. Numbers match and it did not come with a hood scoop or a rear spoiler.Email me about price & S&H [email protected] :D

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
Cat w/wings

The rear 69 wings are $500 and I did see one the other day at some vendors site. The correct application for the wing actually was Cyclone Spoiler so the part # is C9GY not C9WY. $500 new used or NOS does not sem to matter and yes very hard to find. I was lucky and was able to repair mine but 69s warp down like repros do. There are two different spacings 32/33 or 36 and Mustang is not same as Cougar is my understanding,definately not Mustang when you consider the third digit in prefix "G" not "W".Hood scoops original used are about $100 on eBay. The late 69 and 70 trunk lid has cut outs for 70 style wing while early 69s had no cut outs and were drilled inside of brace.70s also have braces in the cut outs while 69s do not.
Catz yaz laterz,Ray

1 - 11 of 11 Posts