Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I ended up paying way too much money for what was supposed to be a box of Cougar parts. Turns out there is a bunch of 61-63 fairlane stuff in there and some most definitely non ford parts but what really caught my eye immediately and the reason I paid too much money for the parts was an original C7WX-16098 FoMoCo GTE 7.0 litre fender badge :)

Please someone tell me it's worth a small fortune :) My wife is giving me a timeout right now to "Think about what I've done".. :(

·
Registered
2,660 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
I think it's best to take a look at a vendor or two out there and see what they have and how much they want for it.

Don at WCCC has new inserts for the badges (this replaces the faded or grunged 7.0 Litre emblem that yours seems to have. $35.00 for the insert. A set of two reproduction badges he wants about $305 for the pair.

As yours is original, it might have some value as-is.... But I personally would only want it if it was cleaned up. Still, you probably would want to advertise it as it stands, as someone else might want it the way it is.

I don't know what it's worth. I would guess that you could start it between $125 - $150, but I've not seen one like it for sale in a long time. I hope someone who knows more about these will chime in. Sometimes you get an answer like "it's worth whatever someone will pay for it.

You could always post it out here in the parts forum and see what kind of offers you get. Maybe it's only worth $40 - $50.

I ended up paying way too much money for what was supposed to be a box of Cougar parts. Turns out there is a bunch of 61-63 fairlane stuff in there and some most definitely non ford parts but what really caught my eye immediately and the reason I paid too much money for the parts was an original C7WX-16098 FoMoCo GTE 7.0 litre fender badge :)

Please someone tell me it's worth a small fortune :) My wife is giving me a timeout right now to "Think about what I've done".. :(

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good advise, thanks. I guess if someone is doin ga restore job and doesn't want repo.. although the repos Don has are pretty dang sweet..

I have to admit I was pretty stoked to be holding onto a piece of an origianl 68 GTE.. pretty sweet.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
There is a Right and left side. Looks like yours is a right side.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I can't tell by the pics how good the chrome is. If it doesn't need to be rechromed, and only needs a decal insert then it is probably worth $250.00

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone. I was in a mood last night because I know better than to buy stuff without thoroughly checking on it. The box of Cougar parts contained a 70 Cougar script emblem, the GTE badge, a 6.5 litre badge and a GT badge. Other than that it was full of 61/63 fairline interior pieces a couple mirrors.. Meh :) Guess really it serves me right thinking I was going to pick up a bunch of GTE parts for a couple hundred bucks :)

I am going to probably hang onto the GTE piece and clean it up. It is in really good shape aside from one paw which I will have to clean up well to determine if the chrome is OK. 3 of the 4 pins are there which is cool. It's about as close as I'll ever get to owning a GTE so maybe I should just put it in a display case and use it as a story piece and a reminder.... everything is not always as described when buying parts haha.

Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
:icon16: Put it on your farmer hat...

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
I just sold a pitted set with 1-2 missing pins on each badge. They were original and needed re-chroming. They sold for just over $300 on e-bay. I bought the set that was advertised here on the forum about 4 months ago by a guy from California who's uncle removed them for a car in the 1980s. They're really nice originals that need new foils. I paid $340 for them. Your badge is worth $150-$200 in its current condition, IMO.

·
Registered
298 Posts
At Ford carlisle 2 years ago, I paid 250$ for a sweet pair of metal GTE emblems. I was told they were rechromed originals. I compared them to my one original off my GTE at home and I could not see any difference. The only difference I found was when I flicked the emblems with my finger nail, the original had a different 'ring' than the rechromed originals..........ummm. But I love them---odd sound and all!:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts