Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious as to what you cat owners are doing for sound systems in your rides. Obviously, cutting the dash isn't an option. What has worked for CD listening? Receiver in glovebox? Changer in trunk? Also, any suggestions for speakers in a vert?
I'm not looking for show quality sound(or volume), but I do appreciate "clean" sound. Any suggestions or disappointments?
Thanks, Bob :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
544 Posts
A friend is putting in a custom autosound system. He has the secret audio system, and is putting in a dual speaker in the dash pad, new door speakers and speakers behind the rear seats. Custom autosound has a piece for 66-67 mustang conv's with 2 speakers and an amp that mounts behind the rear seats. I haven't seen or heard the iinstallation, but will let you know how it looks and sounds when I see and hear it.

Steve

·
Registered
751 Posts
JC whitney has a stock looking am/fm 6-CD for 520, not including speakers. Looks stock, should sound decent depending. Show sound... Mine's currently running a fouled up sears special. I've got a replacement am & bezel, but have been too busy working to put it in.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
danny gatton, james mcmurtry and 311

·
Registered
207 Posts
Just running a 1982 vintage Pioneer Super Tuner in dash for right now but hope to soon upgrade to CD player.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Before my cat was vandalized, I had a really nice cd changer and head unit with amp. All sony stuff.
One of the best things I did to stop the "cotton in your ears" acoustics of the cat was to put dynamat all over the floors, doors, and roof. New weatherstripping probably is next.
Alas, I have nothing now.:cry:

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
I'm with bclay with the early 80s vintage AM/FM/Cassette Pioneer Super Tuner in AlphaCat, but mine is fed through an underdash booster/equalizer (remember those? :eek: ) and four speakers. Two original door speakers and two under the rear package tray. As it is going back together now, I have eliminated the undercarpet sound deadender (60(!) pounds of the stuff was rusted to the original floors) and will enjoy the sound of 400+ horsepower more than any radio.

BetaCat has its original AM/FM stereo with original door speakers.

PartsCat has no radio (aftermarket radio removed by P.O.), but original Ford soundsystem booklet that came with the car suggests that it was AM/FM/8-track. The original door speakers were removed and larger openings hacked into door structure along with the wiring to a couple of surface-mounted speakers on the rear package tray.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I actually still have my pioneer supertuner w a seperate 60w amp from the 70's! (giving away my age here lol) It still works, but can it somehow be used with a CD changer since it doesn't have any pre-outs?
Also, any input on the dash speaker upgrade to stereo? It seems like a good idea, but I wonder if it's worth it, as opposed to speakers in the kick panel area. Bob

·
11,000 Posts
Music to my ears

I run a pair of Holley 600's on top of a Ford factory intake, controlled by a Comp Cams 280H feeding 448 cubes of hungry side oiler. For treble response there are eight individual tubes from the Edelbrock aluminum heads leading to 3" collectors for mid range.

Sub woofers are a pair of 2 chamber Flowmaster ash cans.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Another Option

I upgraded to a Kenwood DIN-type receiver. Didn't have to cut the dash, only the radio bezel. The face plate is motorized, and when the receiver is off, it gives the appearance of the radio-delete option.

With a power amp, it sounds good, even on the highway with the top down.

But there's still no prettier sound than the rumble of the Flowmasters! :sun:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
As of right now i got a radio in there for looks. It was a early 80`s realistic that did work and when the cassette was done playing you could see a light flasing saying to turn the cassette over. Well doing a trade w/ a friend i got a nice 12 disc pioneer CD changer im gonna use for the vert and a pioneer AMP and Head unit But that may be after i start doing the extensive work to the car.
thanks
pat

·
Registered
648 Posts
I got a chrome faced KRACO with knobs for tuning and volume. I'd say it's earlier than early 80's...:)

It's eventually going to be replaced by something a bit more modern. For now though it's AM radio and ther sweet sound of flowmasters...

Ken

·
Registered
60 Posts
I got my deck mounted in the glovebox, My amps mounted under the seats, Mids in the kickpanels, tweets atop of the pillars, 6x9s obviously in the package tray, & 2,12" subs in the trunk right behind the back seat. Its all fairly well hidden, just put cheap vintage looking covers on the 6x9s so nobody knows they are top of the line Sonys. Works for me!

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
You da MAN, Royce!

VERY creative...someone give the man a slap...on the back!!! :)

In mine, I have a nice Kenwood that fits the original opening, but it's just the AM/FM Cassette version, and have a 200W 4-channel in the trunk screwed to the braces behind the rear seat. I would sound completely AWSOME were it not that the rear deck speakers are waterlogged by my leaking rear window... :(

I put some nice speakers behind the kick panels, but I'm pretty sure those were a waste of time and money, 'cause not much sound comes outta them.

In the stereo's next life, I'm not sure about the deck (though I got hold of a second set of the console face plate and pad so I can cut 'em for a CD if I wanna...though I'll probably go with a changer in the trunk...

What about those kick-panel speakers they have now with molded sticky-outty speaker boxes? Anyone use them or ever heard 'em? My '67 Standard doesn't have door speakers, I ain't pullin' the dash pad to put a useless speaker in the dash...so all I have is the kick panels and the rear deck. Also need a better amp and a subbie in the trunk.

Oh, and I think I'll probably add a trunk extension so I can put something besides stereo gear and tools in the trunk!!! :lol2:

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
I used to have a Kenwood AM/FM Cassette which was a shaft mount installation with 7X10 speakers in the rear deck, 5" rounds in the kick panels and a Pioneer amp under the rear package shelf. I'm keeping the speakers and the amp but upgraded to this:

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/Pioneer/CDA/CarProducts/CarProductDetails/0,1429,21415,00.html

Since the dash is apart, I used the original center paper speaker as a template and made a bracket to hold two 2-1/2" rounds up there. The system is only prewired and not completed but the installation looks pretty clean. I'll know the sound in a couple more weeks.

Mark

·
Registered
906 Posts
Im my 69 XR7 convertible, I have the original am/fm in the dash. But, the system goes much beyond that. I have a secretaudio remote controlled system, running to a 6 disc changer in the trunk, mounted high up so it's invisible. The unit is slick, totally hidden, and sounds great and clear, with speakers in the doors and a "pile driver" double speaker in the dash. I am very, very happy with it. Barry's setup is also very nice and sounds amazing. Seriously, his cd has incredible sound quality and volume. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Droptop: I am not familiar with the"pile driver" dash speaker setup? Could you fill me in? Also, which system is "Barrys"?
I do like the idea of the kenwood in dash also. Great idea with the motorized faceplate!
Keep the info flowing. There are some great ideas here! I certainly like Royce's response, I received a xmas gift from my wife to go toward a "sound system". I'm not sure I could pull off
" listen! it's a big block!!!!" lol Bob

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
Well

I am just finishing up the upgrades to the stereo in my 67. Because I am not like Royce and only have a small block single carbureted engine I need to rely on outside stimulus for tunes.

I bought the Kenwood AM/FM CD changer made by Custom Autosound, and a 10 Disc CD Changer from a member of my Cougar Club he went with a DVD or something any ways $200 for everything I couldn't pass it up.
I installed factory kick panel speaker buckets and Infinity Kappa 5.25 3 ways and in the rear package tray under factory stereo speaker grilles ('68) I installed Pioneer 4 ways.
I was going to do the secret audio setup but this deal was to good to pass up.

When I decide to put the factory MERCURY AM back in I will have it rebuild by antique auto radio and it will be factory look with a super tuner brain and CD changer built into the old case... $500 is a lot of money for the 2 point deduction at the nationals, and I plan to drive a lot.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
dead stock AM/FM Stereo with the original speakers. right down to the part numbers. :D bling bling

1 - 20 of 36 Posts