Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm sorry for the length of this post but I need to familiarize the brain trust here with my situation.
My dad bought a yellow 69 M code Eliminator in 1970 when I was just 8 years old. He sold it to me in 1977 when I was 15 and learning to drive. Being a young dumb teenager (and it being the 70's) put air shocks on the back along with 10" wide Caragar SS rims along with the requisite N50 15 tires to be one of the boulevard terrors of the time. Of course then the smog stuff came off and headers were added. After three transmissions were gone through from just being abused the car sat parked for about 8 years.
Then the drag racing bug hit in the 80's and what was left of the original parts were replaced with Eldebrock intake, Holley carb, Cam, ported heads etc... Away went the A/C, P/S pump, vaccuum lines for the headlights and anything else that wasn't needed for trips down the dragstrip.
Obviously if I had known then what I know now none of the modifications would have been done. That's all water under the bridge now. My dilemma is what do I do from here. I don't have the funds for a full blown take it back to original restoration. The body is in very good shape has been stored inside since retired from drag racing in the early 90's after a fresh repaint of the original color with the stripe kit.
My wife and I have decided to get it out of the mothballs with a starting budget of $2K to get it back on the street and an occasional rod run or the like. I'm not expecting to make a show car out of it just a nice weekend driver. I'm leaning toward what I would call a restomod. It would be easier on the budget as I already have a running 351W (not the original but I still have it along with it's cracked piston skirts) with a few hot rod parts. I have a nice set of Hooker Comp headers for the car (I also have the original exhaust maniflods) The original FMX which now has a 10" converter and the original 3.0 open diff. (which I also still have) has been replaced by a 3.50 posi. Do the Probe motor mod or replace the vaccuum system?
I guess my question is would you put it back as close to original as possible or just use the parts I have and have fun with it since I don't see ever doing a full blown restoration or selling the car. I appologize again for the length of the post.
BTW I really love this car and have since my dad brought it home when I was 8. At least I don't regret selling my first car like most 49 year olds I know!

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
I vote for the restomod thing. Using the parts that you have and having fun. Use the traction lock, and the 351W.

Being that this is a true Eliminator, this car has value, I wouldn't do the Probe headlight thing, not on an Eliminator.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply. Although everything is just in the planning stages now, I'm getting pretty stoked about getting it back on the road. It hasn't seen street duty in 30 years. An occasional blast down the strip sounds like fun too, it's been close to 20 years since that car has been on the strip. At least I drew the line at cutting on the car to go faster. I switched to an 80 model Mecury Capri that was 8 tenths and 10 mph faster with the same drive train. Of course that didn't last but a year before a 429 went in along with a narrowed rear 14 X 32 slicks which netted another second and a half and another 12 mph. That car I don't regret cutting on.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Do you have any pictures from past/present? Sounds like your cat has had a pretty eventful life (and will continue on too)!

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
I agree with CJ as well. Just don't do anything that isn't reversible, as the car does have value.......

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well since you asked heres a picture of the car from 1990 along with a picture from the 1990 NHRA division 5 banquet accepting the "Wally" (It still looks good on the mantle) I won by winning the Division Final race besting a field of over 100 cars (sheesh, pardon the hair, it was another time you know). How many Eliminators can say they eliminated that much of the competition. Threw one in of the Capri just for the heck of it
. cougar2.jpg oscar.jpg capri2.jpg

·
Registered
992 Posts
I think your plan is great. There might be even more value with your car being unrestored original, albeit modded over the years in different phases but never irreversible. Your plan fits the budget and allows for a ton of fun without treating it like a ming vase/trailer queen.

p.s. stone washed jeans and Cosby sweater, definately 1990, hehe...and you apparently knew what you were doing at the track, congrats on that.

Kevin

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to all for the input. I was already leaning that way as was as mentioned in the OP. I've been a member here for a while but not very active. Some may remember when I joined, like a lot of people Barrett-Jackson fever was pretty high after the 428 CJ Eliminator hit 6 figures. I've always had a real interest in the hobby but life happens and things had to be put on a back burner for more vital things like family and a house. I'm back at a point where it's not going to take from something else to put a few bucks back into my baby. I owe a big thanks to my wife for wanting to go along with this. After all she's never even ridden in it.
I'll start a new thread after the work begins in a couple of weeks. It will have to wait until after our vacation. We are taking a road trip half way across the country next week to be in North Carolina to be at Z Max for the four wides. We make 1 NHRA national event a year and this year that's the one. I can't even fathom the db level of 4 nitro burners in unison. Has to be just ridiculous.

·
Registered
441 Posts
do what you want to do to the car your never going to sell it who cares if it all org. or not as long as your happy with it i was mad at my wife for painting her car lime green but she told me it;s her car never going to be sale it and it's going be what she wants and i agree with that now if your goint to sale it then yes do a full resto more money that way

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Yup. Resto-mod. Collect the pieces you need to get it back to stock, and drive it/enjoy it!

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
just use the parts I have and have fun with it since I don't see ever doing a full blown restoration or selling the car.
You answered your own question right here. Good Luck!!

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
I am in the same boat as you and I love the resto-mod anyway. In some ways it's a better car than "stock", and if I want to go play at the strip on the weekend I am ready to go. Best of both worlds if you ask me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts