Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got through installing my 390 motor in my 68 GT. Everything went great until I went to start it. When you first turn the key on the starter engages before you turn the key to the start position. I put a new solenoid on and the wiring is correct according to the way I read the schematic. Would a neutral safety switch cause this? Bad ignition switch?

Any one have any idea what causes the starter to engage as soon as the key is turned on and before you turn the key to the start position?

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions
Wayne

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Almost sounds like something is amiss in your ignition switch....you sure you have it connected correctly? For some reason you are getting voltage to the relay to early....

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Is this a recent change? Have you done anything new to the car? (other than the solenoid?) Do you have an MSD box that is bleeding over somehow?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for your reply. It's a new starter. No MSD box. The car ran & started when I bought it, although it had a 302 engine. I'm doing a total restitution with the 390 and C-6 transmission it came from the factory with. I took a peak at the ignition late last night and could see that somewhere along it life someone has done some splicing on the wiring at the switch. I'll get into that today and see what I can find. It's just funny how it would start with the old 302 motor in it.
Wayne

·
Registered
156 Posts
Perhaps you have damaged the wiring where it comes through the firewall. Years ago I had a 68 with a 302 and the grommet in the firewall came out and the wiring rubbed and shorted out against the firewall. It made the starter engage when I turned the key on. It took a while to find the problem, but once the wiring was fixed it never occurred again.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
...could be that the wiring at the switch was "swapped around" to compensate for mismatched wiring on the starter of the 302. Could have been "botched" when the previous owner put in the 302, and then did the splicing at the switch to correct for it.

Trace all the wires. Sounds like some connections got swapped somewhere along the way.

Good luck!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all your suggestions. Your right mike. Turns out it was the switch wiring had a bunch of splices. Got them sorted out and it now starts like it should.

Wayne

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Glad to hear it!

I think all of us were right ~ pointing out the wiring and splices. I'm sure you knew that too, but just wanted some confirmation. I do that all the time myself :)

"Ok, this is what I think it is... but am I over-thinking it? Or am I missing something obvious? Hrmm... lets see what the internet has to say about it..."

1 - 10 of 10 Posts