Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can anyone suggest what a good price would be to pay for a brand new, in-the-box brake master cylinder for a 73? i have the opportunity to buy one but i'm not sure what it is worth. i don't need one now (that i know of) but i am assuming this would be a really hard to find part when i eventually do need one. also, this isn't rebuilt (according to the seller) but brand new and never used.

thanks!

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
In my opinion you probably need to worry about the seals on this "New" unit being cracked or hard causing leaks. This master cylinder might be new but it is still probably almost 20 years old. Rebuilt master cylinders are probably your best bet. Just my opinion.:D

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
good point, jeff...

i hadn't thought of that. i was just thinking it'd be a neat way to "keep original." might not be worth the risk though.

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
If you want to keep it original you can purchase the seals yourself and rebuild it with a proper shop manual.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
I bought a new rebuit Master cylinder at the local car shop here, it was 40.00 exchange. A rebuild kit was 65.00. NOS stuff is risky when it comes to the stopping of your car. Think real hard before you buy it. Just my .002

Rick

·
Registered
669 Posts
An almost 20 year old master with almost 20 year old dry seals?!?! Now that's brave! Question is, "how much do you like the front end of your car!".

1 - 6 of 6 Posts