Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. New to the boards here. I will be yanking the fenders and everything under the hood with the exception of the motor.
I want to paint the engine compartment

It doesnt have to be original style. I was thinking low gloss black
in a spray can but my buddy told me about a special textured paint that could be applied then clearcoated.

Open to suggestions or tips....

Thanks,

-Austin
67 Std
Lime Frost

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Texture?

Whatever paint you use it shouldn't be crinkled or textured. Somebody somewhere mentioned using the almost flat barbeque paint.

When I had my Cougar exterior repainted they were supposed to "detail" the engine compartment........they painted everything black, the P Brake booster, voltage regulator, hood hinges. They also thought it should have a texture on the inner fender aprons, why I don't know.

Tim B

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Engine compartment paint

Here we go again....

Long long ago in a galaxy far, far away.....

No, wait.

Well, going back almost 20 years in my 'restoration' work, we used to use a factory mixed frame paint. Trouble is, they quit making it.

Then we tried plain old gloss black acrylic enamel. Good ol' PPG Delstar DAR9000. Too shiny. Later on, for a more authentic look, we'd add a little flattening agent to try to match the factory look. The problem with normal acrylic enamel is that it really isn't all that resistant to fluids in the engine bay, and it has marginal rust preventative properties without a coat of wax over it.

Then I came up with the bright idea of trying to use Rustoleum. I added a little flattening agent to it also but it didn't spray all that well. In fact, it looks like Ca-ca. Just try to strip that junk off!

Now (well, for the past ten years) we've been using the two-part epoxy primers. The black epoxy primer has the right look, is very fluid resistant, and is good for rust prevention. Now they're starting to take that off the market (nasty fumes).

My suggestion to you is to try to get some epoxy primer while you can.

Now, to properly paint the engine comartment you'll be better off pulling the motor. It really isn't all that hard. Whatever you decide to do -- GOOD LUCK!

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info all. Thats a good detailing link. Thanks Chad.
I'll stay away from the textured crap.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Tim, I just noticed you are from San Diego. Did you go to the
Cougar Show last Sunday at Deer Park Winery?
It was great to see so many cougars show up. There must have been 45+ cars there.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Yep, I was there! There's a link in the pictures section to a Club Photo page, I put a bunch of photos there (but not all). I have a pic of every Cougar there.

It was a great show. I got a second in my judged class. Mike Brown got 1st, which was entirely fair. He has a beautiful 69 XR-7 conv. that was featured in TCCN. He's had 100 or so cars and this is his show car.

Tim B

·
Registered
9 Posts
I owen a 1967 cougar and when I painted my engine compartment last year, I used 500 degree semi-gloss black engine paint in a can from NAPA. It worked great, it looks like someone took a regular spray gun and sprayed the whole thing. Plus it's oil resistant and it's not suppose to fade. If your looking for something that's not expensive and will still look good, I would try this.

~Joe~

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice pics Tim. My cougar is the lime frost one on the right
in pic "P4x2" I purchased the car from Mike Brown about a month ago.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
CrazyCat said:
Nice pics Tim. My cougar is the lime frost one on the right
in pic "P4x2" I purchased the car from Mike Brown about a month ago.
Nice car. Mike's a good guy. I came very close to buying a different 69 XR-7 convertible from him. Before I could decide someone else bought it, and it ended up on the east coast.

Tim B

1 - 10 of 10 Posts