Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The console sliding door on my 67 Cougar is hard to open. Where the handle is, it's already a little bent from the previous owner. Back in the stone age, when I had my first Cougar, I busted the door trying to open it, and all the little slats came apart. What can I use to lube the track for the door? I thought of white lithium grease but before applying I wanted some advice. THANKS

·
Registered
391 Posts
I used general suspension lubrication, applied very carefully with a Q-Tip.

·
Registered
508 Posts
A good soap and water clean of the track and slat edges, then apply a graphite powder after completely dry.

·
Registered
336 Posts
The console sliding door on my 67 Cougar is hard to open. Where the handle is, it's already a little bent from the previous owner. Back in the stone age, when I had my first Cougar, I busted the door trying to open it, and all the little slats came apart. What can I use to lube the track for the door? I thought of white lithium grease but before applying I wanted some advice. THANKS
What about a silicon spray? Mines a lil' stiff too.

·
Registered
508 Posts
After 45 years of spilled soda, coffee, food particles, dust, cigarette smoke and or exhaust fumes. A good cleaning with soap and water will work best. I would not put a liquid lube on something that is already sticky. Another thing to look at is; has the console shrank from UV or floor heat and is now compressing the slat door in the track channel?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's the backing rubber that sticks, making it hard to open. And the angle that the door folds back under the dash doesn't help. I tried the vasoline trick and it slides nicely up and down. Hmmm, slides nicely up and down, maybe I should have used K-Y!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts