Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my white convertible top on my 71 XR7 is real grungy... I would go as far to say as pretty stained... I was thinking of spraying a mixture of bleach water on the top is this a good idea? Does anyone have any other input of what I can use to clean it... It needs more than just a soap and water scrub...

·
Registered
121 Posts
Now that is a very good question! The top on my '67 Mustang Convertible is starting to look a little that way too! Any suggestions?

Cheers

Peter Lynn

·
Registered
439 Posts
I have used scrubbing bubbles and a good brush on tops before. You can get it at any store. Just try to keep it off your paint, if you get some on paint rinse it off.

·
Registered
266 Posts
A friend recently recommended RaggTopp - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8v0uLkOyD4s

He imports carpet for auto restorers in Australia and said he would stock it himself but for restrictions on posting hazardous chemicals. I have been thinking of buying some for my car and would be interested in anyone's comments.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Step one: Go to a self-serve car wash and use the high pressure spray. Put the wand very close to the top at a shallow angle, say 30 degrees, and move slowly. This will get rid of a lot of the dirt and grime and save you a lot of elbow grease on step two.

Step two: elbow grease and one of the products. I used one from Meguiar's that worked nicely. Others here have recommended something called 303 or 301. Someone is sure to chime in or use the search function.

Step three: Do not use Armorall or other silicone based product. It will give you a very nice shine, but it is only temporary and screws things up for the next time you want to clean it.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
I had a white full vinyl top on my FirstCat back in the '70s. AND the PO lived downwind of the Ford engine foundry. Talk about a rust-stained mess. I tried about everything I could think of, and to heck with the consequences. I tried bleach, I tried whitewall cleaner, I tried cleanser... I think the metal particulates from the foundry sat on it for waaaay too many years. I ended up replacing the top when I painted the car the next year.

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
I have used the long handled brass bristled BBQ brushes you get at harbor freight (often on sale for $1) and Wesley's White Wall Bleach. Lots of elbow grease...

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
On really bad tops, paint thinner/ turpentine works great. It's oily and not harsh. Try a long known top finish.... Lemon Pledge... used to be in hand spray bottles, but they stopped making it, so aerosol is the only it's sold now.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everybody!!!! Lots of good idea's!!!!! I'm going to give some a try on spots and see what happens!!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
When I owned a 69 Cougar Convertible many years ago, I always used a product called "Westley's Bleche-Wite". I believe it is still available at most auto supply stores. It is meant to clean the white walls of tires, but it also worked great on my white convertible top. As it is corrosive, just be careful, and be sure to protect any painted areas when using it. Otherwise, it didn't do any damage to the top after many applications. Good luck.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I agree with CCPhilly68XR7, Westley's Bleche-Wite kept my white convertible top very clean. Also, if you can find some Ford Triple Clean (a lot of Ford dealer parts counters don't have it), that stuff will work wonders as well and is less harsh. Also, the little tack strip ends used to rust a bit on my car, so I used Naval Jelly (!) to clean the rust stains off, and it worked like a dream. It did not chemically "touch" the vinyl at all.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
I agree with CCPhilly68XR7, Westley's Bleche-Wite kept my white convertible top very clean. Also, if you can find some Ford Triple Clean (a lot of Ford dealer parts counters don't have it), that stuff will work wonders as well and is less harsh. Also, the little tack strip ends used to rust a bit on my car, so I used Naval Jelly (!) to clean the rust stains off, and it worked like a dream. It did not chemically "touch" the vinyl at all.
triple clean is obsolete it sucks it was good stuff!

·
Registered
81 Posts
have you tried any of the suggestions yet? how did it come out?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
have you tried any of the suggestions yet? how did it come out?
Ok.. So far my lazy butt has not put the top and and tried anything yet... No, seriously every time I plan a day on pulling the car out and putting the top back up something always comes up... I have a pressure washer I need to put together and I had some paint thinner around the house so that is what I was going to try first... Some people had posted about Westley's Bleche-Wite and Wesley's White Wall Bleach... So I am assuming these are the same products so I think that I am to look for this product and try it since I haven't done it yet...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts