Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting to plan some of the bigger budget items on the '68 Cougar XR-7 I bought in February. The current dilemma involves the C4 transmission. This car, BTW, is a never-molested 2-owner (not counting me) car that sat dormant in an attached garage for the past 25 years. It's a factory air, J-code.

Since it has not been fired up in 25 years, I'm assuming that the C4 will need a total rebuild including new torque converter. A local shop (with a good reputation and that I have used once before for a 4-speed toploader) gave me a sight-unseen estimate of $975.00 as a worst-case estimate and said it could be lower once they open the transmission and see what it looks like inside.

I also have the option of simply swapping the original transmission out in favor of the C4 I took out of my '69 Mustang convertible when I converted it to the TKO. I know that transmission is good, but the Cougar will no longer be "numbers-matching" if I do that.

Right now the plan is to remove the transmission and give it to the tranny shop so they can open it up and give me a better estimate, but my question is this - At what price does it make sense to simply swap transmissions? I don't plan to do a concours restoration and do plan to sell the car next spring after the resto is completed.

Opinions, please....

·
Registered
144 Posts
In my opinion....I would keep it numbers matching. The vintage cars these days seem to be selling for a higher dollar amount if kept original. Depending on the modification, of course....but....since your plan is to sell it.....I'd keep the car as original as possible.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Or....

put the other tranny in, and sell the car with the original tranny in the trunk. If it means not driving it cuz of the tranny, use the other one until its built or sell it with the car later on saying it will need re-freshin'.

Rick

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Sounds like alot too me, unless everything is rusted up inside. A stock rebuild on a C-4 is only maybe $200 in parts. mm

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
A c-4 is a c-4 is a c-4 keep it if you want but a transmission swap is rarely cause for a non origanal, ie tranny went out owner may have replaced it or any other number of reasons in the last thirty. plus ford would put anything into a car it had in stock so you may have a 65 part number on the c-4 it is all on taste but i doubt that anyone would even care if you replaced like for like. now if you swap it for a tremac or aod now your talking isues or even a c6 but as long as it matches the door code it doesnt really hurt value.

·
Registered
329 Posts
This is what I did

I have a 70 XR7 ragtop with matching numbers my FMX needs to be rebuilt.So what I did was I called my auto parts store got a fmx trans for 450.00 my fmx to be rebuilt is packed away for now.If I do sell my cat witch I will not I still have a matching numbers 70 XR7 ragtop.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I'd bet that you could get a pro built c4 with tough internal parts from a major tranny vendor for about 1k. They are pulling the wool over your eyes.

·
Contributing Member
162 Posts
Now here is a silly thought.

Just a little thought. If you are planning to rip it out and rebuild anyway....and you are going to sell it when the resto is complete...then I wouldn't just assume that it needs anything. Why not take her out and give it a try.

I only suggest this as I was in a similar situation with a car that had sat for 15 plus years. I stuck in a fresh battery, fresh gas, checked the oil levels, pulled the plugs and put a squirt of oil in each cylinder, poured a little gas down her throat and fired it right up. The tranny was fine for another 50K plus miles before the engine finally went south.

I guess my thought would be to simply check the levels and give her a shot. What do you have to loose....

Dale

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: Now here is a silly thought.

I have to pull the engine because that definitely needs a rebuild. The car is not currently driveable because it won't start. Turns over, but there is a bad clanking sound high up in the engine. So I figure I might as well pull the tranny at the same time and at least have it checked.

We'll see what the shop comes back with. They've already taken a firm stand that they'd want to replace the torque converter and that was included in the $975.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Find another shop!! I mean it, my uncle just rebuilt my spare FMX for my buddys kids Mustang and it was less than $200 for every thing. Including a new converter and shift kit. A C-4 will not be more. mm

1 - 11 of 11 Posts