Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SANY0142.jpg

This is what I found last year after media blasting, Who in their right mind would think this was ok?:eek2:

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
The person who did it. I bet they did that, painted it and sold it for a profit.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Was probably the same guy that did this to my Cougar:

Note the Bondo over the sheetmetal that was screwed on top on the rusted out floorboards:

Which will be fixed (thanks Don!) with this:

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Not defending what was done, but every person is different and skill levels vary. When I was 18, I pop riveted sheet metal in to repair rotted out quarter panels (after proper prep) and did body work over that. It was what I had available to me and it worked (for a while).

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
^^^What he said^^^

Pop riveting in/on new metal was the extent of my body skills back 35+ years ago. I even bought a '72 'vert convertible parts car that had new quarter panels hung on it by a professional body shop some time in its life using a double-row of rivets! Then I tried my hand a brazing on body patches, saving the actual stick and gas welding to structural repairs. This was before the days of cheap/accessible MIG welders!!! Now, of course, everything I do will get done that way - although nowadays many body shops are using structural adhesives (glue)!!!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not defending what was done, but every person is different and skill levels vary. When I was 18, I pop riveted sheet metal in to repair rotted out quarter panels (after proper prep) and did body work over that. It was what I had available to me and it worked (for a while).
I thought that too. However they repaired the floor by welding a 3/4inch thick steel plate over the previous hole. The guy told me he had it all done at a body shop. I think he got freaking ripped off, and so did I, But $800 was not bad for a running driving car.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Hey Chuck,

Just a thought, try to stay away from using a course grinding wheel on anything except (narrowly) along the edges of panels you plan on welding onto. The grinding wheels tend to make a mess of the surface. 80 grit on a DA sander works better and leaves pristine metal behind.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Chuck,

Just a thought, try to stay away from using a course grinding wheel on anything except (narrowly) along the edges of panels you plan on welding onto. The grinding wheels tend to make a mess of the surface. 80 grit on a DA sander works better and leaves pristine metal behind.
Thanks for the heads up, but I haven't used a grinding wheel at all, aside from the media blasting the new panels are being put on at the body shop by somebody who knows what they are doing

·
Contributing Member
1,011 Posts
I think you are looking at Andys car on the grinding wheel maybe.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Pheww - for a minute I thought this was gonna be my picture! ;>0 lol

yeah, back in the day the old pop rivet was the only low budget method available. Even a lot of shops didn't have a mig - hammer dolly/dent puller/files were the methods - cover it with bondo. Todays stud welder/pullers, cheap migs, pannel adhesives, have made a big difference.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
3/4" thick steel plate, I would have to see that.

Dale in Indy
Yep Dale, LOL. If the guy can weld sheet metal to a piece of 3/4", he has got mad welding skills! Oh, and an air shock on that side to offset the weight too (unless he put that on both sides)!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yep Dale, LOL. If the guy can weld sheet metal to a piece of 3/4", he has got mad welding skills! Oh, and an air shock on that side to offset the weight too (unless he put that on both sides)!
Once I get back in town I will take a picture of it for you. However, I think that you are thinking it is a really big plate when in fact it is only about 9 inches by 9 inches, and it was laid over the hole and welded there. But thanks for being skeptical, makes things fun.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Once I get back in town I will take a picture of it for you. However, I think that you are thinking it is a really big plate when in fact it is only about 9 inches by 9 inches, and it was laid over the hole and welded there. But thanks for being skeptical, makes things fun.
It's just so wacky! I mean who would have a hole and then say "this 9 x 9 piece of 3/4" plate would be PERFECT to fix that with!"? Stranger things have happened/been found I am sure but we'd love to see what you see!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's just so wacky! I mean who would have a hole and then say "this 9 x 9 piece of 3/4" plate would be PERFECT to fix that with!"? Stranger things have happened/been found I am sure but we'd love to see what you see!
I am with you on that after I yanked out the carpet I was like what the hell was this guy thinking? Not to mention the bubble gum he used to hold the radio knob on should have looked a little harder during the inspection before I bought.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts