Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a set of ACCEL plug wires at the swap meet last weekend and some new looms. My question is this, I have a 351 4v in my '70 XR7 (no points) wondering what would be a better hotter spark plug other then stock.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Sure you want hotter Jay? Hotter means the material in the plug retains heat longer - less likely to foul I suppose, but also increaeses chances for detonation. Unless you car carbons up bad (like mine!) I'd go colder......I'm running Motocraft SP-420 right now (BSF42C) seem to be ok thus far - I'm hoping that 600 Holley I got at the swap meet will tune out better with biggger jets. I tore it appart except the metering block - couldn't get it off without breaking the dam thing.....so I just cleaned the crap out of everything else and replaced all I could.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Mike -

I am going to reset the timing tomorrow (got the day off), it really needs new plugs and wires (same ones are in it that were in it when I bought it). I am pretty sure that the timing is off a tooth or maybe two. I have it set (by ear) because when I use the timing light, I am no where near the mark (not even close).. I thought that maybe with a hotter plug and recheck #1 at TDC it'd be a little more responsive on the throttle. Not that I am complaining, it really does run fairly good, but it does have a hard time starting, I have to crank it too long, also a little "pinging" at higher RPM's, like out on the interstate.

Yours sounded pretty darn good at Taco Johns the other night! What are the chances of two Cougar's showing up at a taco stand without any planning? :) Great minds think alike I guess...

Jay

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Some timing gear sets have the option to offset (retard and advance) the timing which can throw off your timing marks - not saying the PO may have done it, but keep that in mind. I had a hard time getting the sweet spot on mine - it runs better at the point it doesn't start easy (advanced) but it starts easier where it doesn't runs quite as good (retarded). I'm also running mech advance - not vacuum, so it took a fair bit of fiddlin to hit it with spring sizes etc.....

Maybe start from the very basic and see if #1 TDC (on the right stroke) and lining up with rotor #1....if not mark it where it's at now, yank the dizzy and move a tooth over, see what ya got.....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts