Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to put some AR Torq-Thrust D's on my 68 XR-7. :D
Costco has them for a good price but I'm still shopping around.

I'm pretty set on getting 15's. Should I put 15x8.5 OR 15x10 on all four corners or should I put the 8.5's on the front and 10's on the back? I'm looking to build something that I can throw into the turns with ease and not worry about slippage.

How wide of a tire will each size accomodate?

Also the AR Torq-Thrust II's look pretty good and come in a 16". Has anybody been able to put 16's on a 68 Cougar without much modification?

·
Registered
99 Posts
you may find that the 8 inch wheels are to wide for the front, I work for a national tire and wheel store and our books say 7-7.5 max for the fronts, because of turning clearence.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
The 16's will fit fine as well, you just need to lower the aspect ratio if you go that route to a lower profile tire, and they're a little more expensive for both tires and the wheels...

I run 15x7's on the front and 15x8's on the rear.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I owen a 67 Cougar and yes the 8.5 are going to be to wide in the front. I know this because I have a set of ET aluminum slotted rims that are 15 by 8.5 all around. They look good in the back as long as the hieght of the car is high enough I put air shocks in the back of mine and had to raise it about three inches from the stock hieght other wise the tires would rub. But we had to go with smaller tires in the front and right now the rim is wider than the tire, but it still looks good. If I were you I would go with the 15 by 7.5 in the front and 15 by 8.5 in the rear with some BFGoodrich Radial T/A's. Trust me it will make the car look really good. But remember to put 8.5s in the rear you will have to raise the back of the car, or they will fit but rub and chew the heck out of the tire.

~Joe~

·
Registered
406 Posts
I'd like to get some tens on the back of my car, but that would be pretty tuff. I want to get a big rim size with a low profile tire that is about as wide as i can go, I need to do just a little more to get some better cornering. Anyway here is a picture of a sexy wheel. - Chad

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Re: Re: What size wheels?

You can put tens on the back. Like I said you would have to lift the back of the car. If you don't have air shocks look into getting an extra leaf spring I believe the name of the company is Add a Leaf. I've been told it should lift the car about two to three inches. That may be enough, but I would look into it some more.

~Joe~

·
Registered
406 Posts
Which part of the car does the tire rub on? Also, if i had ten inch wide tires, wouldn't it be not street legal? It would be pretty tuff to raise the back of my car with my rear sway bar. - Chad

·
Registered
163 Posts
10" is a no go without shorter axle

Even 8.5" can be a tight fit if your wheels don't have proper back-spacing. If it does rub, it'll likely be the lip of the wheel well. This can be nothing more than a nuisance, as it may not do it all the time, but it can get to the point of the inner lip actually slicing into the sidewall of the tire.

You could go hog wild and tub the rear end, and shorten the axle but I wouldn't bother with that if you plan to drive it regularly. Besides, it will look disproportional any wider than 8 or 8.5.

In regards to using air shocks, even with the sway bar you should be able to get some use out of them. I've opted to use mid eye 4 1/2 leafs, which let's the rear sit pretty low then crank up the air shocks. It doesn't sit much higher than stock, but the vertical tension seems to help lock the rear so it doesn't bounce hardly at all.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Re: 10" is a no go without shorter axle

Chad your right tens would be to wide. I would go with 8.5's in the rear like I did with my car. The tires will rub on the top part of the wheel well where the metal bends into the wheel well. That metal strip is used to hold wheel well chrome if it came stock with the car. You don't think you can raise the car with the sway bar at all? Do you know this for sure? If yes then the only other thing I can think of is to take the rear sway bar off, or ask a parts dealer like NAPA and ask them if you can use air shocks with the sway bar, if they don't know ask a profesional who works on old cars. Other than that, I don't know what to tell you.

~Joe~

·
Registered
406 Posts
...so do you think if i used a low profile tire i could get away with a wider tire, or when i hit a bump it won't matter and will hit anyway? - Chad

Attachments

·
Registered
163 Posts
It won't matter

Chad - save yourself some trouble and don't go wider than we've recommended. I've got 60 series z-rated Dunlop tires on mine, and the only thing have lower series tires will get you is slices into the sidewalls.
I have $400 worth of rubber in the rear end that looks like ass now because I didn't do my homework first :p

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Some good info from this thread, thanx guys!

Based on some stuff you guys said and looking at some more Coog pix I think I'm going to stick with my original plan to hookup some Torq-Thrust D 15's and go for a more traditional look with 15x7's front/15x8.5 (maybe 7's) back.

Rock on! :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Chad it really depends on how far you want to go to put wide tires on your car. If you really want them I would look into seeing if you can raise the car without taking the sway bar out. If you can't, then honestly I would take the rear sway bar out of the car, it should still handle pretty good. If you don't want to do that then go with 7.5's.

~Joe~

·
Registered
406 Posts
What I'm probably going to end up doing is leaving everything the same and putting some 8's on the back with some yokohama tires [nice and sticky] I should be able to get 8's in the back following "Logan's Logic" which was provided in his post in the picture section where the issue of his rims was talked about in great detail. - Chad

1 - 15 of 15 Posts