Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for input here. My 68 std currently has 14's on it. The new paint is crying out for new wheels. I'm thinking about going with 15's. Probably one of the American Racing polished aluminum styles. I'm looking to fillup the wheel well a little more. What does everyone think?

·
11,000 Posts
I like Torque Thrust wheels in a 15X 7. Also saw some cool Radir wheels in a recent Hot Rod magazine that were a repro of early '60's Rader wheels.

One think I warn people about is to avoid uni - fit wheels that use a slot and washer. The slot won't center the wheel properly after it gets worn and you end up with a vibration that will not go away. Current Crager SS wheels have this problem. Other brands that have used this type of attatchment are E-T and Superior. I don't know if those companies are even in business any more but the slotted lug hole idea doesn't work for long in practice.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I agree with Royce (duh, who doesn't...). I had old-style mag wheels (I think they call it the Indy pattern) that looked great except that they were slotted. It was a pain to get them properly seated, and they DESTROYED my lugs... I need to replace all 20 of them now...

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
Cragar are for GM Torque thrust are for fords "NUff Said"

·
Registered
519 Posts
Torq Thrust's, Radirs, or Magnum 500's are my vote

Vintage wheel works make some Torq thrust clones in a 16" that would be a nice alternative to the above mentioned wheels.

I've also been thinking that a black NASCAR style wheel with RWL (RYL) would look totally evil! :evil:

·
11,000 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts