Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 68 standard Cougar. It has aftermarket rims in 14 inch and nice but not great tires on it. I'm looking to put 15 inch Torque Thrust II wheels and new tires on it. My car has a built 289 in it so it sounds great, I would like it to look the part without going overboard. What size wheels and tires would you folks recomend to give it a mean but functional look? I'm not going to drag race the car so I would like a good balanced look with maybe a slightly wider rear tire. I would also like the car to handle better so I'd like to stick with 60's series tires. Thank you!!!

·
Registered
519 Posts
Can I pitch in .02 cents here?

I have 235/60/15's on 15x8 Torq Thrust D's (with firestone tires).

I would recommend that you stay away from the 60 series and go with 50 series if possible. The 235/60's on the front are a big tire to push thru a turn and that tall side wall does get a bit skwirly in the corners. Also, 235/60/15's have a greater chance of rubbing up front if your back spacing isn't right.

Going with a 15x7 wheel is a safe bet and should reduce the the chance of rubbing.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys! The suggestions are great. I'm thinking 5X7 Torque Thrust D's with 225/60/15 front and 235/60/15 rear does that sound good or should I really go with the 235's all the way around? I don't know if I'd like 50's series tires. Would they look good on a muscle car? What do the other 40 some people that looked at this thread have on their cars?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Has anyone actually fit a 50 series tire bigger than 225 on a 7" rim? I thought that once you went to 235 the minimum rim size was 7.5 -

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Re; What size wheels and tires?

I have Torq Thrust 7" wheels on my 68 along with 215/60x15 all the way around... Even with these smaller tires I get front tire rub, and yes I have folded the lips up. I wouldn't want to go with anything larger than 215/60's on the front.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts