Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just got my tax refund, and I'm wondering how I should spend it on my project car.

Here's a pic:

And here's an assortment of pics:
http://www.iz-us.com/images/cars/cougar/

The engine, for now, is done. We just put in an intake, carb, cam, headers, and a full dual exhaust.

Things I'd like to change/fix:

The passenger fender needs replacing, as one can probably tell in the pics.

Rear 1/4 window needs new glass.

It has a 2.80 non-locking rear end.

I'd like to get rid of those ugly ass rims and put some Cragar SS wheels on.

The stock FMX could use a pick up.

The interior needs a rennovation.

So, the question is, what would be the most efficient use of $1,000? I'm open to any other ideas as well. :)

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
My take on the subject is this. Concentrate on everything required to make it LOOK good. Body work and interior work. Mechanicals can always be done after the fact.

Reason I say that is it's hard to do a resto and not be able to enjoy driving the car to shows and cruises and such for a couple years. If you do the body work and paint, you can at least get out and enjoy the car without it being in primer. :)

·
Registered
356 Posts
If its not broke then don't fix it. If the rear is good don't toch it, same goes for the rims. I would concentrate on stuff that needs to be done. Don't sweat stuff that doesn't need to be fixed, so what you have "ugly" rims. You can always go through the car after its done and then start replacing stuff. GOOD LUCK

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
The things like the window and body work first if you can. when you start looking for the first set of wheels try looking at swap meets. The wheels you get there will not be brand new but will be easier on the wallet. Also for any parts you want like seats you may find good deals there. So you have an idea, I put eeats from a 94 mustang GT in my 70 std.. I had to slightly modify the 70 seat tracks to bult them to the seats. Then they just droped in. I paid $200 for the seats at a local dismantaler. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
It all depends on your priorities, goals and what you can accomplish yourself. A trip to the bone yard could get you some good parts. Since your in so cal you could probably find a cougar and get a window, maybe a fender, maybe some other interior stuff. If you want the car to be real fun to drive think about a posi with a set of gears you like and a shift kit. If you are more concerned with the looks work on the body. replace the fender and do some shopping for a painter or even better if you can do it yourself because its not cheap. Wheels are an attention getter too so its really all up to what you want. Another thing to consider is when you are going to have more money to put into her and what can wait til then.
Good Luck
John

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
id start off with a new fender for the car. ( yes im still keeping an eye out ) then primer it all one color. after that id get the posi with the gears in the rear end. that alone will eat up most all of the $1000. then after that go to Pomona and find a decent cheap set of rims. Cragars are out there and arent too expensive. unless you go to the junkyard and get some cheap black steelies for now at least. hell re-use the old tires but at least it wont look so , eeeerrrrrrr, mismatched. that should be a cheap way to improve the looks for now. i doubt that a set of 4 14 inch steel Ford wheels will run more than $100 at the junkyard. and a set of spiffy hubcaps like mine will be less than $20. but damn will it help the look of the car. hell, as far as primering the car, buy the primer and i can do it for ya. just to get the whole car one color. worry about the dents and all that for later. Bodywise the fender would help the looks about 100%. looks like you might have a bent bumper bracket too though....

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
oh yeah , one more tip, i see that alot of your pics try and hid the bad fender, my advice..... take a few shots of the car and try to make the car look bad. i wish i would have taken better shots of the previous damage on my car. it would have made the before and after pics that much more dramatic.

·
Registered
519 Posts
If she runs and drives well then I would suggest spending the cash on some body work, however a new rear end will liven things up in the daily drive. :D

As far as wheels go maybe you can pick up some wide steelies and hubcaps for that sleeper look till you can get the wheels you really want.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Im going to get flak for this, but I find it real funny (and insane) when they do the body work before the Mechanical. Yeah, she sure looks pretty but does it stop, tires any good, all the lights work, start no problem, sit right, sound good, etc.
I would concentrate on the mechanical first. Replace worn out items like swelled brake lines, wheel cylinders, check the brakes, shocks, tires, electrical, all lights and signals, etc.
I dont know about your state, but BC, Canada has surprise roadside inspections. If a cop thinks your car is unsafe, they could get you to go for an inspection. Make sure all the mechanical is in top condition first, they cant ding you for a bent fender, but will impound it for the front disks way to thin, back wheel cylinders leaking, signals not working, etc. Once its in top mechanical condition, then play with the body. Im a liscenced commercial truck inspector and I see alot of bad mechanicals, so it scares me when I see nice looking cars, but the brakes squeel or suspension is fubared. Play safe.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Yep! I'm with dark on this one. You won't have to worry much about what to do next if, god forbid, the brakes or steering go out and you end up in a crash. Always gives me a chuckle when I see a car with a tricked out motor, trans, rear end and then you see the car has standard non assist four wheel drum brake system! The guy can go but he can't stop to save his life.
If all is good in that dept then, hey a little cosmetics couldn't hurt.

(Damn, you reminded me, I have to do my taxes)

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The brakes are working good. I have front discs. Steering is a bit floaty. I've heard there are some aftermarket kits to improve the steering, does anyone have any more info on them?

Basically, my opinion of what I "want" on the car keeps changing every other day.

One day I'll be settled, I want wheels and tires. The next I'm certain I want a rear end. But the next I'm definately going to fix up the interior.

Gotta love it :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts