Mercury Cougar Owners banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im wanting to purchase a set of headers that fit the 1st attempt. I've looked on summit but have read so many bad reviews about fitment issues. Also Im confused as to the 351 and 302 headers. I was told 302 headers bolt up correctly. There is a noticeable price increase for 351 windsor as opposed to 302 headers.
If someone could tell me which ones they purchased and install without any hiccups. Mine is a non ac car. And I am pretty sure its a fmx tranny

·
Super Moderator
11,030 Posts
Easy to tell if you have an FMX. Get a magnet. If it sticks to the transmission then you have an FMX.

Shorty headers will fit and give you every bit as much performance as long tube headers if mufflers are part of the system. The shorty headers from Tony Branda fit fine and are very reasonable. Note that their website only talks about Shelby and Mustang. Anything that fits a Mustang fits your Cougar too.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I installed headers on a previous Cat that I owned (351W/FMX)......what a battle. For my current Cat (351W/FMX/Non-AC) I purchased headers from Ford Powertrain Applications (www.fordpowertrain.com)
I was prepared for a bit of an installation fight.....it didn't happen.
These longtube beauties dropped right into place without issue. What's more, the collectors tuck right up and are barely visible. I don't cringe when approaching a speedbump. Highly recommended.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
All the videos I have watched says shortys not much more better than stock manifold. Well mayne the low end torque.

Keep reading... Unless it is a big block or you plan on turning that small block well over 5000 rpm long tubes are not needed .. Shorties will do everything you need and are a great improvement over stock restrictive cast manifolds...

·
Super Moderator
11,030 Posts
The actual testing I have seen shows little difference if the headers have mufflers behind them. If this is a race car with open headers then there might be a slight low end torue advantage to long tube headers but it is still not a lot.

All the videos I have watched says shortys not much more better than stock manifold. Well mayne the low end torque.

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
Im wanting to purchase a set of headers that fit the 1st attempt. I've looked on summit but have read so many bad reviews about fitment issues. Also Im confused as to the 351 and 302 headers. I was told 302 headers bolt up correctly. There is a noticeable price increase for 351 windsor as opposed to 302 headers.
If someone could tell me which ones they purchased and install without any hiccups. Mine is a non ac car. And I am pretty sure its a fmx tranny
I had run some Hedmans years ago that were supposed to be good for 302/351 but they were super tight against the body and tight against the trans. Now I run Ford Powertrain headers (http://www.fordpowertrain.com/FPAindex/headers2.htm). No issues and they have a nice ball & socket joint instead of the flat triangle.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I too used the Hedman headers with little problems getting them in, and my car is a 4 speed with AC and PS. Drivers side took some time and 2 people. Had to also get the drop bracket for the PS ram. Headers were about $220 at Summit and came with the collectors, which most of the others you have to buy separately. The bigger issue for me was what to do from the headers back as straight pipes won't work and you need an exhaust shop to connect them to the stock H pipe.

·
Registered
9 Posts
CJ Pony Parts sells JBA Headers and the H pipe especially for 69-70 351W engine Mustangs and Cougars. I have purchased them but have not installed them yet. The H pipe works with the automatic transmission.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts