Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just getting my feet wet for the first time here, barely even a novice, so please bear with me if I don't know what I'm talking about.

I just picked up my first cougar, '68 302 4v, and the only know issue at this point is the power steering. Leaking at the pump, what's what my old-car-restoring friend concluded when we were looking at it. By the time I had driven her for a couple hours, half highway and half city, when it was time to get into the garage, the steering felt more like manual than power. Low rpm's make it more severe, yes? Anyway I'm not gonna let this beautiful day go by without some time cruising, so I wanna get some fluid in there and hit the road.

There's a marking that says to use automatic trans fluid, and I found a post here (I did search) that said to make sure to use "type F auto trans fluid". Is that what's right for me? To the best of my knowledge all the steering related components are original, except the wheel. Is "type F" the way to go? I sure don't wanna do the wrong thing here, but I gotta get out on the road as soon as I can because winter's gonna be banging down the door pretty soon around these parts.

Help is very much appreciated. Thanks guys.

Scott

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Type F fluid is the correct one. John

·
Registered
669 Posts
I've used Dexron with out problems. The p/s system isn't like the auto trans. It will handle different fluids with out problems. But, if you have to go out and buy some anyway, may as well get type F.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Type F fluid ---- unless you don't mid ruining the seals

·
11,000 Posts
Dexron or Chrysler or Mercon fluid will cause PS failure sooner or later. Use nothing but Type F in the transmission and PS and convertible top systems.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I picked up some type F earlier tonight but got sidetracked from the ps system by the fuel leak that popped up today which I described in another thread.

Seemed perfectly reasonable that since the dipstick for the ps fluid reservoir says right on it to only use auto trans fluid, and the auto trans fluid appropriate for a '68 mercury is type F, that it would need to be type F for the ps too. But I really prefer the confirmation of experts to my own intuition, especially as new as I am to doing my own auto work.

The guy at AutoZone told me that lots of people think it's ok to use AT fluid but it's not, I should definitely get PS fluid. Glad I didn't pay attention to that input. :)

·
Registered
223 Posts
Not to side track this thread but I ran into a similar problem with a 1963 fairlane. The PS calls for ATF and back in 1963 Ford used type A fluid. Try finding some. I did research and from what I can tell Dexron is a very close substitute. Seems GM used type A until they came out with Dexron. They claimed Dexron could be used to replace type A. BTW most Ford and GM vehicles use ATF. Using PS fluid will cause nothing but problems unless its specifically called for. Noise, leaks etc.

Bill

·
11,000 Posts
They had Type A at Pep Boys yesterday right next to the Type F.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts