Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 68 I have been told some of the trim is stainless steel? Some Chrome. I know the bumpers are chrome, What would be stainless? I can't find any pitting anywhere so I am thinking I can polish everything up real good but want to no what to use on each piece.

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
The windshield and rear window trim, drip rail trim, rear quarter window rear trim and front side window trim are all stainless and can be buffed to a beautiful shine. The hood lip trim, front extension trim, center grill trim, deck lid trim and rear extension trim are all anodized aluminum and buffing won't bring those back. Bumpers, bumper guards (if equipped) grill and taillight ribs, center grill insert, rear quarter window "hockey sticks", driver's door mirror, vent window frames, rear quarter window leading edge, door handles, front and rear marker light housings, parking light housings, reverse light housings and all exterior emblems are chrome. I probably missed a few things but this should give you an idea of what you have.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
You can take a MAGNET to determine, unless the stainless allow has magnetic elements within, and I don't think that happens often.

I'm no expert, but think such is correct.

Dale in Indy

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
That's right, they are steel, CHROMED.

If the magnet DOESN'T STICK, it's stainless, aluminum, pot-metal, or plastic. IMO. Or steel with LOTS OF BONDO. hehehe.

In the so called,GOOD OLE DAYS, wood was often used, magnet won't attach itself to such either. LOL

Dale in Indy

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
K, thanks all, getting a little ancie at getting started on this restoration. I know I need to slow down and take it slow but is getting harder as the weather is starting to tease a little.

·
Registered
349 Posts
You can take a MAGNET to determine, unless the stainless allow has magnetic elements within, and I don't think that happens often.

I'm no expert, but think such is correct.

Dale in Indy
The bumpers and guards are the only thing a magnet will stick to.
That's right, they are steel, CHROMED.

If the magnet DOESN'T STICK, it's stainless, aluminum, pot-metal, or plastic. IMO. Or steel with LOTS OF BONDO. hehehe.

In the so called,GOOD OLE DAYS, wood was often used, magnet won't attach itself to such either. LOL

Dale in Indy
Bartender? I'll have what these guys are drinking!
Umm, stainless steel is indeed ferrous, or magnetic......

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Bartender? I'll have what these guys are drinking!
Umm, stainless steel is indeed ferrous, or magnetic......
Quality stainless steel will not attract a magnet. Only cheap crappy stainless will. Try it on your car.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I have a HUGE NATURAL magnet, over the years I have put it to use on HUNDREDS of car parts, and as I stated, UNLESS THE STAINLESS IS AN ALLOY THAT CONTAINS MAGNET ELEMENTS WITHIN SUCH IT WON'T STICK. Yep, CHEAP stainless will, and will RUST AS WELL.

I'm a NON-DRINKER desertdave55. LOL I have NEVER tasted beer, had a mixed drink, or the first cig. I'm no better than the rest of you though, just the way it turned out.

Dale in Indy

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
I'm a NON-DRINKER desertdave55. LOL I have NEVER tasted beer, had a mixed drink, or the first cig. I'm no better than the rest of you though, just the way it turned out.

Dale in Indy
You're just not trying hard enough ;)

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Good one, Brian! lol

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Did I forget to tell you, "I left my bottle, and cig's in the bar last night"?

No.....really, I guess I just didn't TRY HARD ENOUGH, maybe.

Dale in Indy

·
Registered
349 Posts
Quality stainless steel will not attract a magnet. Only cheap crappy stainless will. Try it on your car.
I actually ran out to the garage with a magnet last night before I posted, just in case! The stainless steel trim on the windshield/rear window, along with the side window frames all attracted a magnet. Now, as to my statement that stainless steel is ferrous, I'm retracting that statement LOL!

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I just went and tried it on my car. I'll be damned if it didn't attract a magnet. At least the couple of pieces that are on the car did, didn't feel like digging through the pile of tools and parts to get to the loose stuff in the closet. It didn't stick to the door locks, but did the trunk lock, odd. They must have used various grades on these cars. The dash and console panels I made out of stainless won't attract a magnet, and neither does all the stainless hardware I used on the engine.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
The trunk lock might be a thin piece of STAINLESS wrapped around the steel locking part underneath the wrap. There are on some cars, window trim that is steel, and then chromed. I don't know what you have, but GOOD STAINLESS will NOT attract a magnet, plain and simple.

Dale in Indy

1 - 20 of 28 Posts