Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm keeping the original plate on my CAT but, my 85 1 ton 4x4 crew cab dodge has Alaska plate MOPIG. thought about FORDETR but was already used.

What do you all have

·
Registered
406 Posts
I've got the original California plate from 1968. It's a black plate with yellow letters, and I wouldn't change it for the world. I've found that I get more comments on it then I do the actual car! [remember the car isn't painted yet] I love confusing people with the 68 cougar too. People ask, "where are the headlights?" Then I show that the headlight doors open. People say, "where do you fill it up?" then I show them that trick fold down plate. And they say "wow what kinda plate is that?" It's so awesome you just gotta love cougars! --Chad

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have an original set of 1969 VA plates for the 69 Cougar. Side note, I have one of the original California plates that came with the car when I bought it. Kinda neat.

My Mach 1 wears MACH1CJ

and my favorite is on my 85 GT - I H8 GM

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Vanity tags

Well, that's what Ohio calls its personalized plates.

Now, until a couple of years ago, my 'Alpha' cat wore COUGRR. I got those plates in 83 and renewed them every year since then even though the car has been in pieces since 1985! $60 a year for a car I couldn't even drive just so I could hold on to the plate.

Then, lo and behold, 12 years later, Ohio decided that my 73 Cougar, now almost 25 years old, needed an emmission test. Cars over 25 years old are exempt. No way to get a test with the car in pieces so I had to forfiet the plates. Now somebody else has 'my' plate. Grrr :mad: The worst thing is, that I can't even get another plate until the car passes a State vehicle inspection since it has been unregistered for more than a year. I will have to make a list of possible plates for the day if I ever get it together again.

My wife's 70 Mach 1 wears EQUUS, which is Latin for horse. My buddy's 73 Mustang convert wears 351 CJ, and his Boss 429 has 429 HP.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I just recently applied for A55 KIKR for mine. The lady at the license county office approved it but I just got a letter from Indy that they rejected it. Something about profanity. Go figure.mm

·
Registered
355 Posts
The plate for my '69 was just ordered - ELEANOR.
It's from the Toby Halicki "Gone in 60 Seconds" flick from the seventies (what a chase scene). Just like the Mach 1 in the movie, it took me forever to find the right car, with plenty of trauma along the way! Pretty obscure, I guess.

My daily driver Mazda Rx-7 reads, MADZRTI.
Just my own "Car-and-Driver-esque" rambling.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
My 69 wears COOGRR.
cougrr was already taken - I think a 68 is running around with it but I have not seen it yet.

·
Registered
9 Posts
i have:

KWAZYKAT (67 dgs)
KATSMEOW (69 standard vert)
CHIKCOOP (62 fairlane 500 sport coupe)
SPUNKY67 (67 fairlane 500 ranchero)
TRUKGRRL (84 F150)

and... yes... they are alllll mine....

kaylin

J