Mercury Cougar Owners banner

What was the goal or look you were going for with your last/current project Cougar?

• Daily Driver

Votes: 42 21.0%
  • Concours

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • Show car (Not concours)

Votes: 34 17.0%
  • Resto-mod / Muscle Car

Votes: 101 50.5%
  • Racing (AutoX/Drag/etc)

Votes: 10 5.0%
  • It would be nice if I could get it started.

Votes: 11 5.5%

• Total voters
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
my driveway is empty..there is a beautiful MOHAVE GOLD Cougar with white stripes in my garage though.... maybe i got to find the owner of this supposed BROWN one.. , well have to kick it lol

·
Registered
13 Posts
well after I actually get one...
I'm going for daily driver, of course It'll be modded, faster, louder, better a/c, maybe better seats depends on what its like, a stereo of course.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Our car is unique enough here, don't think anyone would notice if we put non-std stuff on it, but, we want to keep it the way it should be, as original as we can afford, at the price of petrol, definitely to show-off only, take it out once a month - on pay day, lol. Just the colour - maybe I should take out a poll and see who thinks it looks great the way it is, or what colour would suit it, not sure about red with all that chrome, maybe deep blue, chrysler have got a nice deep blue neon, Any suggestions. Its not like we can compare it to another one here!! And photos are'nt the same as the real thing.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
A friend of mine back in high school (1979) had a 1970 Std 351w 2v single exh. I fell in love with the Cougar and had to have one.
He painted it midnight blue and put craigar ss w/ spinners on it. it looked real sweet for a month, one night he was going too fast for a corner and rolled it many times landed back on its wheels and slid dead center into a tree. I then had a new mission to add to the pile....Find a 1970 Cougar. 20 years later i have two, one is parts only. I really enjoy resoring it. Another friend back then had a 65 or 66 fastback galaxie w/ a 390 4spd. i had to have that car but my parents woulnt go for it after the test drive. i couldnt recall the year so i found one of each. Now i must find a 40 ford and a 36 ford

·
Registered
61 Posts
Birthdaypresent

Hi, i got my 69 cat at my 20 birthday. My dad bougt it to me so that i had somthing to work on. Today i have turn the car inside out two times and im still thinking of starting ower to do some of the part better. Its the best birthday present so far.

This year i rebuilt the engine, the rear axel with posi, and the C& trany. A also repainted the car and bought a lots of new rubber.
I still need some new bumpers though.

Ride on with the cats...

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Well, I have to say resto mod. I rebuilt the rearend (will be changed to 9" soon), new drive shaft, rebuilt the toploader, rebuilt and balanced an '87 302 w/many performance parts. Installed springs, shocks, sway bars, bushings. Upgraded the disc brakes to Granada 11" discs. A/C blows very good.

I will shave the door handles and emblems. Install electric windows and put in a tweed interior. The car has very good HP and is still extremely reliable and absolutely fun to drive.

The wheel/tire combo will be changed to 17x8 (Front) and 17x9 (Rear).

I wanted this car to be fun to drive w/comfort and reliability as an added bonus. I am almost there!

There are many fantastic cars on this site and it gives one many ideas and goals to strive for.

Regards to all
Rick J

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
Restomod comes the closest to describing my car in it's current state. My car is on it's third life since I've owned it (cats have 9 lives right??) I have time to add a few more.

Let me start with the first one. I was 12 when I got it and I wanted a Hot Rod by the time I was 16. Since the car wasn't a rare model, my dad helped me achieve my goal... to a point. We made it look and sound really fast and racy, but the running gear was left stock. That was a good thing since I got in enough trouble with it as it was.

After 10 years of driving it that way, some of the original components were in dire need of replacement. I was much more mature now and had a few $$ to play with. I now wanted to upgrade the performance to match the looks. Out went the 302 2V, C4 and 8" rear. In went a warmed over 351W, freebie C6, and 9" posi. I met my goal of cutting over three seconds off my previous dragstrip time while still being able to drive it anywhere, anytime.

Now after 10 years in that configuration I wanted to update it yet again. I'm much more mature now and going fast isn't as important to me anymore. This time it is taking on more of a Pro Tour theme. I did some more custom bodywork, am swapping out the C6 to an AOD, updating the factory air to Vintage Air, and am adding an air-ride suspension. Plans are to complete it before summer.

Sorry for the long response, but when you've owned a car as long as I have, it takes a while to explain.

Mark

·
Registered
339 Posts
I went with the restomod look, big wheels and all because I want the car to accelerate handle and stop better than stock. It is a daily driver of course. AOD and gears are next. I hit 105 mph in 2nd gear the other day, definitely need to lower the axle ratio.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Restomod all the way.
To quote a favorite saying "Anyone can restore a Classic, but it takes a Real Man to cut one up!" :sun2:

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
Restomod/GT. FOr a long time my COugar was my daily driver, and I made small modifications for reliability (electronic ignition & regulator, 70 windows), safety(change from drums to power disc brakes) and comfort (Recaro seats, AM/FM cassette, etc).

·
Registered
168 Posts
I will know when i get there

My car started out as a quick show car, and then I shoved a storker in it. Now do to function making the form it is becoming a por-street. Not really the look I was going for, but oh well.

·
Registered
743 Posts
i voted mostly driver. Im only 16 years old and i go to school with it every day. It drives great but the parent dontlike the ten inute warm up in the morning. The car runs great,looks great and will eventually sound great. Its a stock 302 3 speed. I have fixed most of the interior, a new stereo system. Sony Xplod-two 6x9's in the rear and 2 4's on the kickpanels, a 10" rockford fossgate in the trunk. Sounds awesome. Im happy to say my interior and engine are SPOTLESS i chromed out the engine and returned interior to brand new. I cant believe i only boughtit for $4,000.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
It`s a Show and Go, it has a show quality custom paint with airbrushings here`n`there for showing off, and a beefed up 302cid engine with approx 305-310 HP for the go part, purrs nicely and fairly quiet on idle, but RROOOARRS when i step on it.

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
Originally I wanted to build a flat black beater and beat some chevys however once I got my second Cougar for parts with the very nice interior my tune changed. I then began restomodding my 69 into a 70 and eventually painted the cat grabber orange and did a fairly nice job of it I expect from the compliments I did recieve.
Eventually I found my chevy to race one night outside of the Dairy Queen. My stock 351W w/headers up against his $3000 350. Well I lost. Several years later 100+ miles away from home staying at a friends on the lake late one night a guy shows up and turns out he was driver of that chevy,lol. I still had my Cougar his Chev was gone.

·
Registered
454 Posts
At this point a I'm still making up my mind which way to go. I think about restoration because of the rareity of a '67 XR-7 4-speed, but I hate the color scheme, and to the average car person that would look at it in a show, they wouldn't know that you just don't see XR7's with 4-speeds.... also the original engine is already gone (it still has a same year 289 so it's not that bad)

Therefore I am deffinalty leaning to a mild restomod.... that is I want everything to have the apperance of stock to someone who isn't a cougar expert. I have the tilt-away column and disk brakes from my last cougar, those will go on... I plan on installing power windows, and upgrading to a factory-look A/C system (currently heat only) I want to swap out the green interior for a back interior, and money providing, I wouldn't mind converting to rack and pinion steering

·
Registered
454 Posts
Oh yeah.... I also am considering adding a gte scoop with functional ram-air.... If I were to run across a big block for the right price, I think I would also consider an engine swap...

We will just have to see how the project evolves with time... I plan on having fun with this one, no matter which way I decide to take it.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Well once it gets here ....

I will probably be one of those "cloners" .... I REALLY like the eliminator look ... depends on what the car is once it gets here but I do see the hood scoop, front and rear spoilers, and the Cleveland at least (and a color change ... not a fan of lime frost or "medium lime poly"):1poke:

21 - 38 of 38 Posts