Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am looking for a cherry picker to pull my motor and tranny combo. Heres the thing, I found a 2000lb capacity picker locally, but when the boom is extended to the max it says capacity is only 500lbs.

For those of you that pulled out the motor and tranny together, did you have to extend the boom to its maximum to get the motor to clear the radiator support?

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I use a set of chain falls attached to my rafters (reinforced) and a "leveler" to change the angle as it comes out. My rafters are only 7' so that's as high as I can lift the assembly. I R&R my 460 with C6 attached using this setup. I just roll the car instead of the hoist.
I have seen guys do the same thing with A frames outdoors.
Last weekend I posted a link to some "build your own" hoists for 72cat, do a search for "hoists" and it should pop right up.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
I have a '67, and I just ran down to the local Rent-Stuff-R-Us and rented a tow-behind cherry picker...I didn't have to extend anything, but that may be because it WAS a tow-behind model, so maybe (?) it was bigger than the "portable" ones?????

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
Cherry Pickers Rock!!

Pulled the original 302: Used a reinforced chain-fall like Rktmn.

Installed new 351W: Rented a cherry picker from the local place like Cowboy did. $40 a day on Saturday afternoon and kept it through Sunday for only one day's rate. It came disassembled on a cart designed to snap together with spring-loaded pins, and I hauled it home and back in the trunk of my beater car. Don't remember if it telescoped or not.

Pulled the 351 for recent restoration: Used a brand new cherry picker little brother bought at Sam's Club.

Re-Installed 351 two weeks ago: Used little brother's cherry picker again. It is a dynamite piece of equipment. It rolls really easily and is easy to "steer" where you need it. I telescoped it only one notch and installed the motor with the car up on blocks as you see in my gallery.

http://www.mercurycougar.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=2154&password=&sort=7&thecat=500

Plus the pump operates very smoothly and drops very slowly as you would like it to. Problem is I have no idea what he paid for the unit.

I've only attempted to install the motor and trans together one time and that was enough. We put the tailshaft through the windshield of a friend's hobby stock car when the car rolled too far under the chain-fall. But, I do hear those "leveler" devices work well. Never used one though.

Good Luck!!

Mark

·
Registered
588 Posts
I've used a 2' dia tree limb, a large A-frame that looked like a monster swing set, and your typical engine hoist. For the hoist, I typically use the 1 1/2 ton setting or the 1 ton setting at the most with an engine/tranny combo. When extending the boom, always extend the legs out also or you can tip it over. I've never had a reason to extend it all the way out to the 500 lbs setting. I just put a 351C/FMX combo in a 69 Conv this weekend at the 1 1/2 ton setting, went in like a charm. The engine leveler made a big difference in getting it in easy, though.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
thanks for the input guys.

Hey Bruce,
What position of extension was the lift arm in at the 1.5 ton mark. Depending on the max lift some will be way different.
The 1.5 ton is the second to shortest setting on the one I am looking at. I have seen a 4000lb lift with the 1.5 ton on the longest setting. (cant afford it though)

I plan on buying the load leveler, I was just concerned that I might not make it over the radiator support with this lift.

The lift I am looking at has a 750lb rating on the second to longest setting. That should cover my 393 and AOD.

Thanks

·
Registered
120 Posts
To pull my 390 (w/toploader) out of a 67 I used a 2 ton model that is 1/2 ton fully extended. I don't remember which setting I used but I can say that it worked fine......I don't think one with half of the capacity would have worked too well.

·
Registered
145 Posts
full extension

1 ton going out...fully assembled 390. 1/2 ton going in (needed the arm a little longer)..still fully assembled, worked great...bought it new for $130

Attachments

·
Registered
588 Posts
Second to shortest is the 1.5 ton setting on mine. I have used the 1 ton setting with the engine and tranny also but since the 1.5 ton setting works, I typically stick with it since I sometimes have trouble making the legs clear the tires on the 1 ton setting.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Homier Distributing

It's like Harbor freight tools that comes to your town in a big-rig and sell out of the county fairgrounds....I was a little sceptical on the quality, but it worked fine..if you see in the picture, the 1ton setting had the arm a bit short and you see how it's right against the bumper...that's why I chose the 1/2 ton setting going in. I don't know how much a fully assembled 390 weighs, but that puller probablly won't ever try to lift anything heavier.
Chris

·
Registered
145 Posts
It's a foldable one also...so it doesn't take up that much room

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
You can use mine, Austin. I've got a load leveler as well. Should have the engine in soon, I hope.

Attachments

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Garey. I can help with your motor and tranny install on a weekend. Just let me know.......

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
Sure will

1 - 15 of 15 Posts