Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a wanted add earlier for a 351clv.But I talked to a guy locally and he was very unhappy with his 4V engine so I asked why.These are his problems#1The engine went for 2 rebuilds,first one the cam after a few hoursthe loobs were destroyed.2nd valve adjustment is nearly impossible.3rd Engine runs hot and burns oil.4th engine eats gel cell batteries 3 of them.Finally stalls out for no reason 3 times so he towed it home.Is this just absolutely weird.Or is there a cause:uhoh:

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
There are causes for all that.
The cleveland has been around a long time and made a lot of people happy.
Wiping out cam lobes on a fresh rebuild points to incorrect break in or an oil system that wasn't cleaned properly. Most likely break in was wrong.
Valve adjustment can be easily done with stock components. They use hydraulic valves from the factory (aside from a couple of models) and are so easy to set that a monkey could be trained to do it. This indicates yet another problem with assembly or run-in.
Running hot happens frequently when people don't use the correct parts including the thermostat and bypass plate. Burning oil can happen on a new engine when you don't seat the rings properly, install them incorrectly, or do something haphazardly (like valve guides or cylinder hone...).
Eating batteries points to a charging system issue. Nothing to do with a piece of cast iron in the engine bay.

There's always a cause for a poorly running cleveland. Usually it's the owner or the last guy that worked on it. They're just machines. They work until something makes them not work. But, sometimes stuff just happens with bad components and whatnot.
Most of what makes a reliable engine rebuild happens in the cleaning and prep of the components though. Dirty conditions or no attention to detail will create a laundry list of problems to sort once you have it back in the vehicle.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So if I can get this engine at a cheap price do you think it would be worth buying and what would be a fair price.
Thanks Very much for the info

·
Registered
210 Posts
If it were me, i'd find another motor with a better history. Sounds like this one has been beaten to hell. Cleavland's cant be that hard to find.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
They only made "C"'s for like four years. While they are still around, they are getting harder to find, and not any cheaper to build. For the motor you described, I would say "free" is a good price. You will have to tear it all down for inspection, and then another rebuild....Actually, I would pass that up and get a "W". Many more of them, better parts selection available, less money....

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ya I think I will have to pass it was going to be for my fairmont.I know of a nicely built 351W aluminun heads air gap and a holley 650.It comes with 2 trucks the one with the 351w is a half ton,which i would just scrap after I pull the running gear and the other truck is a 3/4 ton with a 390 C6.and the 390 is a good running truck as well all for $2600.So I will forget the cleveland and go windsor

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
You'll have an easier time with installing it in your Fairmont anyway, if you want neat new things like serpentine drive belts, etc.

I like the Cleveland, but if you want an easier install, the W is where it be at.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts