Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finnaly up and running...gotta 68 coug that i just did my first rear main seal and it worked!!!!!! while doing it i notice a wire hanging and followed it back to this box...I know the voltage regulator but what is this and what does it do?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Based on the windshield washer reservoir, it looks like you own a late '67 or '68 Cougar. The engine does not appear to match. If you would put the details of your car in your signature, then we could do a much better job of answering your questions and you would not need to rehash exactly what you have there. There are a lot parts in that picture but since you mention a wire It sounds like this is the ignition box for the late model small block you appear to have in the car.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok i think i updated my signature...But just in case its a 1968 cougar with a 1974 windsor from a ford full size. I think a galaxie..Wew!!! the more i learn about this car...the more i have to learn to figure out what the previous owner(s) rigged up...its that box in the middle. between the reservoir and the wires , tucked under the four hoses...lol

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have the same box.... mine is brand new though when I got the car and it's just hanging there too... not sure what the hell it is... but I'd guess something to do with an after market ignition as well. I'm going MSD so I'm gonna simply dump that box.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanx for the quick replies....its hooked to many things...gonna have to clean it up, follow and replace the beat up wires and get back to everyone on that one. It starts fine but just dont want any problems....thanks all

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
That's a Duraspark ignition module common to most 70's Fords. Keep it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thats What it is!!!!!!!! Thanks jshcobra!!!!!! and thanks all for the input help!!!!

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Maybe an aftermarket replacement Duraspark box? Wire pinouts spread all the way across the bottom is not the normal layout; they're usually clustered around the right bottom corner.

On second thought, it looks like there are more than the usual 6 wires out of the box; and the Duraspark "plugs" can't be seen. One of the old J.C.Whitney-style capacitive-discharge ignition boxes, maybe?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts